1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series(past exam question)

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a past exam question that involves solving a differential equation. I am using a fourier series. in the solution they simply state that it is obvious that this equals pi^2/4 for n=1, 0 for n is odd>1, and -4n/(n^2-1) for even n.

A{n}=2/pi∫(xsinx)sin nx dx

I always integrate by parts, which for this equation is way too long, especially for an exam. So i am wondering how can i evaluate the value of the integral without integrating? i have tried using the addition formulas, but that seems like just as much work.

Another point of confusion is knowing when a function is even or odd. isnt the function xsinx an even function since f(-X)=-xsin(-X)=-(-sinx)=xsinx and thus an odd function * an even gives an odd, and i thought that the integral would then be zero. But in the solution they specify to use a sine series to fulfill the initial conditions that u(x,t)=u(pi,t)=0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2
    Well i used the addition formula and i got

-0.5( cos(x(n+1) -cos(x(n-1))

Those seem very easily integrated by parts

INT( xcos(x(n+1))dx = (1/(n+1))*xsin(x(n+1) - (1/(n+1))*INT(sin(x(n+1))dx

where INT is the integral symbol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook