Fourier series(past exam question)

In summary, the conversation discusses a past exam question involving solving a differential equation using a Fourier series. The solution provided states that for n=1, the integral equals pi^2/4, for n is odd>1, it equals 0, and for even n, it equals -4n/(n^2-1). The student is struggling to evaluate the integral without integrating and is also confused about determining when a function is even or odd. They have attempted to use addition formulas but are unsure if it is the correct approach. The solution also requires using a sine series to fulfill initial conditions.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

This is a past exam question that involves solving a differential equation. I am using a Fourier series. in the solution they simply state that it is obvious that this equals pi^2/4 for n=1, 0 for n is odd>1, and -4n/(n^2-1) for even n.

A{n}=2/pi∫(xsinx)sin nx dx

I always integrate by parts, which for this equation is way too long, especially for an exam. So i am wondering how can i evaluate the value of the integral without integrating? i have tried using the addition formulas, but that seems like just as much work.

Another point of confusion is knowing when a function is even or odd. isn't the function xsinx an even function since f(-X)=-xsin(-X)=-(-sinx)=xsinx and thus an odd function * an even gives an odd, and i thought that the integral would then be zero. But in the solution they specify to use a sine series to fulfill the initial conditions that u(x,t)=u(pi,t)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i used the addition formula and i got

-0.5( cos(x(n+1) -cos(x(n-1))

Those seem very easily integrated by parts

INT( xcos(x(n+1))dx = (1/(n+1))*xsin(x(n+1) - (1/(n+1))*INT(sin(x(n+1))dxwhere INT is the integral symbol.

Related to Fourier series(past exam question)

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of weighted trigonometric functions. It is used to decompose a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

What is the purpose of using Fourier series?

The purpose of using Fourier series is to approximate a function, especially ones that are periodic or have periodic components, using a combination of simple trigonometric functions. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of complex functions.

What are the main applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have various applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in signal processing, image and sound compression, solving differential equations, and studying the behavior of waves and vibrations, among others.

What are the conditions for a function to have a Fourier series representation?

The function must be periodic, meaning it repeats itself over a specific interval, and must also be piecewise continuous, meaning it has a finite number of discontinuities within the interval. The function must also have a finite number of maxima and minima within the interval.

What is the relationship between Fourier series and Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a generalization of the Fourier series, allowing for non-periodic functions to be represented as well. The Fourier transform is used to decompose a function into a combination of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies, while the Fourier series uses only integer multiples of the fundamental frequency.