Extending f(x) as an Even Function: Obtain Cosine Fourier Series

You just forgot the negative sign, but now it looks good!In summary, to extend f(x) = sin(x) as an even function, we can use f(x) = -sin(x) for -pi <= x < 0. Then, integrating over [-pi,pi] gives a series with a0 term. Remember to include the negative sign when calculating the integral.
tomeatworld

Homework Statement

f(x) = sin(x) for 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x<[tex]\pi[/tex]. Extend f(x) as an even function . Obtain a cosine Fourier series for f.

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{0}[/tex]/2 + [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]a_{n}[/tex]cos(nx)

The Attempt at a Solution

So as far as I know, to extend sin(x) as an even function you have to make f(x)=-sin(x) for [tex]-\pi\leq[/tex]x<0 and then just use that to integrate for an but this gives a series without an a0 term which the question points to it having. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you integrated correctly?

Did you remember that the integral over [-pi,pi] breaks to [-pi,0] where it's -sin(x) and [0,pi] where it's sin(x) (or alternatively, the integral over [-pi,pi] is double the integral over [0,pi])

Can you please show us your calculation?

sure.
As you've said, I've just used:
[tex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/tex][tex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/tex]sin(x) dx
so integration gets
[-cos(x)[tex]]^{\pi}_{0}[/tex].
expanding gives [1 - 1] so I lose the [tex]a_{0}[/tex] term. Is that correct?

Oops, i see what I did. Forgot the - - so it should actually be 4/pi. Is that correct?

Yeah, that's right.

1. What is the purpose of extending f(x) as an even function?

The purpose of extending f(x) as an even function is to simplify the calculation of the Fourier series. By extending f(x) as an even function, we can use the even symmetry of the function to reduce the number of terms in the Fourier series, making it easier to obtain the series.

2. How do you extend f(x) as an even function?

To extend f(x) as an even function, we reflect the function about the y-axis, essentially mirroring it. This means that the extended function will have the same value on both sides of the y-axis, creating an even symmetry. This is typically done by defining the extended function as f(-x) = f(x).

3. What is the difference between an even function and an odd function?

An even function is a function that has symmetry about the y-axis, meaning that f(-x) = f(x). On the other hand, an odd function has symmetry about the origin, meaning that f(-x) = -f(x). In simpler terms, an even function is symmetric about the y-axis, while an odd function is symmetric about the origin.

4. Why is it important to obtain the cosine Fourier series for an even function?

Obtaining the cosine Fourier series for an even function is important because it allows us to represent the function as a sum of cosine terms, which are easier to work with mathematically. This can be especially useful in solving differential equations and analyzing the behavior of signals or systems.

5. Can an odd function be extended as an even function?

No, an odd function cannot be extended as an even function because an odd function, by definition, does not have symmetry about the y-axis. Extending an odd function would violate its symmetry and change its properties, making it no longer an odd function.