Fourier transform integration using well-known result

In summary: No sorry I'm still totally stuck, I think I see the logic in your argument that the sign of i shouldn't matter but I don't see how I can apply the result given if the sign is wrong.Any more hints anyone?CheersNo sorry I'm still totally stuck, I think I see the logic in your argument that the sign of i shouldn't matter but I don't see how I can apply the result given if the sign is wrong.Any more hints anyone?CheersTry changing the integration, thinking of it as an expansion of the function into complex form?In summary, the problem person is
binbagsss
Problem

F denotes a forward Fourier transform, the variables I'm transforming between are x and k
- See attachment

Relevant equations

So first of all I note I am given a result for a forward Fourier transform and need to use it for the inverse one.

The result I am given to use, written out is :

## \int e^{-ikx} e^{-\alpha x^{2}} dx = \frac{1}{2\alpha} e^{-k^{2}/4\alpha} ##

I note that ## F(k) C(t) ## gives me a function of k, so I apply ## F^{-1} ## on this I get a function of x.

Attempt:

My thoughts are I'm looking to change signs in my exponential terms so that it is , effectively a forward transform and then use the result, so just thinking of it as a integration result rather than a particular Fourier transform.However if I do this my exponential terms are:## e^{-(-ikx+\alpha k^{2})} ##

, I don't know how I can then apply the result, completing the square looks like the only candidate to me , but this seems like it will be too scrappy, in particular with 'i' terms, how do I deal with this ## e^{ikx} ## term, if I'm on the right lines, is completion of the square necessary or is there some other approach to being able to use this result ?Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• thepost.png
    thepost.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
but this seems like it will be too scrappy,
Not too scrappy, it will only give you an extra constant phase factor.
Anyway, you can just use the forward transform as a "template" with which you do the back transform. Note that in the RHS of the equation you are given, the expression is real so the sign of i should not matter.

No sorry I'm still totally stuck, I think I see the logic in your argument that the sign of i shouldn't matter but I don't see how I can apply the result given if the sign is wrong.

Any more hints anyone?

Cheers

How about making the change of variables ##k' = -k##?

From your given transform you should see at one something reminiscent of the quadratic formula for Re(a)>0
Which as you say relates to completing the square
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-a x^2+2b x+c\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=\\
\exp\left(\frac{b^2}{a}+c\right)\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-a (x-b/a)^2\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=\\
\exp\left(\frac{b^2}{a}+c\right)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}$$
Notice the first integral cares what b is, but the second does not since the effect of b (and c) has been moved outside.
See that since b is squared in the result -(-i)^2= -i^2=1 and the sign does not matter

Last edited:
binbagsss said:
No sorry I'm still totally stuck, I think I see the logic in your argument that the sign of i shouldn't matter but I don't see how I can apply the result given if the sign is wrong.

Any more hints anyone?

Cheers
Even if you were to change the sign of ##i## or equivalently the sign of ##k## as suggested by vela above, you will get
$$\int e^{ikx} e^{-\alpha x^{2}} dx = \frac{1}{2\alpha} e^{-k^{2}/4\alpha}$$
If you are still wondering why this is true, try expanding ##e^{ikx}## into Cartesian form. The imaginary part of the integral that contains ##\sin kx## vanishes because the product with ##e^{-\alpha x^{2}}## results in an odd function and you integrate it over entire axis.

lurflurf said:
From your given transform you should see at one something reminiscent of the quadratic formula for Re(a)>0
Which as you say relates to completing the square
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-a x^2+2b x+c\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=\\
\exp\left(\frac{b^2}{a}+c\right)\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-a (x-b/a)^2\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=\\
\exp\left(\frac{b^2}{a}+c\right)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}$$
Notice the first integral cares what b is, but the second does not since the effect of b (and c) has been moved outside.
See that since b is squared in the result -(-i)^2= -i^2=1 and the sign does not matter

yeh that's all fine.

I don't know what result you've used in the last equality though, it wasn't using the result quoted in the OP which I'm trying to get at.
Anyway so completing the square I get:

##e^{(-1/D)\frac{x^{2}D^{2}}{4}} \int e^{-1/D(k-ixD/2)^{2}} dk ##

In order to then use the result given I need to write it in a similar complete square form in order to make a comparison...pretty sure this isn't what my lecturer was hinting at...

binbagsss said:
In order to then use the result given I need to write it in a similar complete square form in order to make a comparison...pretty sure this isn't what my lecturer was hinting at...
What about changing the integration variable?

Member warned about providing too much help
I don't know what Fourier convention is in use looks like a typo
I have
$$F(k)\left[e^{-\alpha x^2}\right]=
\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-i k x-\alpha x^2\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=
\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha}}\exp\left(\frac{-k^2}{4\alpha}\right)$$
let 1/alpha=4D t
to see
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{4D \pi t}}F(k)\left[e^{-\frac{ x^2}{4D t}}\right]=
\frac{1}{\sqrt{4D \pi t}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-i k x-\frac{ x^2}{4D t}\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=
\exp\left(-D k^2t\right)$$
substitute it in
$$\frac{Q}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(i k x-D k^2t\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=QF^{-1}(x)\left[e^{-D k^2t}\right]=QF^{-1}(x)\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{4D \pi t}}F(k)\left[e^{-\frac{ x^2}{4D t}}\right]\right]$$
cancel the forward and inverse transforms to obtain the result

Likes binbagsss
lurflurf said:
I don't know what Fourier convention is in use looks like a typo
I have
$$F(k)\left[e^{-\alpha x^2}\right]=
\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-i k x-\alpha x^2\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=
\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha}}\exp\left(\frac{-k^2}{4\alpha}\right)$$
let 1/alpha=4D t
to see
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{4D \pi t}}F(k)\left[e^{-\frac{ x^2}{4D t}}\right]=
\frac{1}{\sqrt{4D \pi t}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(-i k x-\frac{ x^2}{4D t}\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=
\exp\left(-D k^2t\right)$$
substitute it in
$$\frac{Q}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! \exp\left(i k x-D k^2t\right) \,\mathrm{d}x=QF^{-1}(x)\left[e^{-D k^2t}\right]=QF^{-1}(x)\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{4D \pi t}}F(k)\left[e^{-\frac{ x^2}{4D t}}\right]\right]$$
cancel the forward and inverse transforms to obtain the result

exactly what i was looking for,- thank you.

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the time or space domain and converts it into a function in the frequency domain. It decomposes a function into its constituent parts, representing the amplitude and phase of each frequency component.

What is the well-known result for Fourier transform integration?

The well-known result for Fourier transform integration is the inverse Fourier transform, which converts a function in the frequency domain back into the time or space domain.

What is the purpose of using Fourier transform integration?

The purpose of using Fourier transform integration is to simplify and solve differential equations, as well as analyze and process signals and data in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What are the limitations of Fourier transform integration?

Fourier transform integration is only applicable to functions that are smooth and have a finite number of discontinuities. It is also limited to functions that are integrable, which means they have a finite area under the curve.

How is Fourier transform integration used in real-world applications?

Fourier transform integration is used in various real-world applications such as image and signal processing, audio and video compression, medical imaging, and data analysis in fields such as astronomy, geology, and economics.