Fourier Transform of Probability distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the probability function using the Fourier transform and the characteristic function. The questioner is confused about where the 1/2 in the equation comes from and explains their approach to calculating the Fourier transform. The other person suggests playing around with the LaTeX code and reminds them of the special frequency component at 0 in the Fourier transform.
sam2
Hi,
Sorry about the text, but Latex doesn't work.

Can anyone please give me an outline for the derivation of the probability function by inverting its Fourier transform, i.e.

P(X>x) = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} Re \bigg[\frac{e^{-i \theta x}f(\theta)}{i \theta} \bigg] d\theta

where f is the characteristic function.
Basically, I do not understand where the 1/2 comes from. My approach was to calculate the Fourier transform of the probabity function:

E \big[ I_{X>x} \big]

and this reduces to being a function of the characteristic function as shown above (f/i theta). I then inverted the Fourier transform and got the integral above. But I don't see where the 1/2 would come from.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to play [ tex ] ... [ /tex ] around your LaTeX code. (Without the spaces, of course... and note that it's / and not \)

Remember that something special happens at the frequency 0 component of the Fourier transform...

1. What is a Fourier Transform of a probability distribution?

A Fourier Transform of a probability distribution is a mathematical tool used to analyze the frequency components of a probability distribution. It converts a function of time or space into a function of frequency, allowing for a better understanding of the distribution's characteristics.

2. How is a Fourier Transform of a probability distribution calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a probability distribution is calculated using a specific formula, which involves taking the integral of the distribution function multiplied by a complex exponential function. This process can be done manually or using software programs such as MATLAB or Python.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier Transform in probability distribution analysis?

The Fourier Transform of a probability distribution is an important tool in analyzing the frequency components and patterns in a distribution. It allows for the identification of dominant frequencies and helps to understand the underlying patterns that may exist in the data.

4. Can the Fourier Transform be applied to any type of probability distribution?

Yes, the Fourier Transform can be applied to any type of probability distribution, as long as the distribution is continuous and has a finite mean and variance. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, physics, and statistics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform in probability distribution analysis?

One limitation of the Fourier Transform in probability distribution analysis is that it assumes the distribution is stationary, meaning that it does not change over time or space. Additionally, it may not be suitable for distributions with sharp discontinuities or outliers, as this can affect the accuracy of the results.