Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of Probability distribution

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    Sorry about the text, but Latex doesnt work.

Can anyone please give me an outline for the derivation of the probability function by inverting its fourier transform, i.e.

P(X>x) = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} Re \bigg[\frac{e^{-i \theta x}f(\theta)}{i \theta} \bigg] d\theta

where f is the characteristic function.
    Basically, I do not understand where the 1/2 comes from. My approach was to calculate the fourier transform of the probabity function:

E \big[ I_{X>x} \big]

and this reduces to being a function of the characteristic function as shown above (f/i theta). I then inverted the fourier transform and got the integral above. But I don't see where the 1/2 would come from.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to play [ tex ] ... [ /tex ] around your LaTeX code. (Without the spaces, of course... and note that it's / and not \)

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember that something special happens at the frequency 0 component of the Fourier transform...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?