Solving Fourier Transform of T(t) to Find b(w) and Plot |b(w)|^2

In summary: Big] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \tau}}So, the transform b(w) of T(t) is a constant value of 1/sqrt(2*pi*tau). This means that the plot of |b(w)|^2 as a function of w will also be a constant value, independent of the value of w. This explains why you were getting an exponential increase in part (b) of the problem. Now, let's look at part (c) of the problem. We are asked to show that b(w) traces a circle on the complex plane as w runs from well below w_0 to well above it. For this, we need to plot the b(w) on
v_pino

Homework Statement

An atom raised at t=0 to an excited state with energy [itex] E_0= \hbar \omega_0 [itex] has the time dependence [itex] T(t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt \tau}e^{-t/ 2 \tau} [itex] for t>0 and T(t)=0 for t<0. Thus the probability of being in an excited state decays exponentially with time.

[itex] T(t)^2= \ frac {1} {\tau} e^ {-t/ \tau} [itex]

a.) Find the transform b(w) of T(t).

('w' is omega, frequency)

b.) Plot |b(w)|^2 as a function of w.

c.) show that b(w) traces a circle on the complex plane as w runs from well below w_0 to well above it.

Homework Equations

[tex] b(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int{T(t)e^{i \omega t}} [/tex]

The integral runs from -infinity to infinity.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] b(\omega)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \tau}}\frac{1}{i(\omega - \omega _0)-\frac{1}{2 \tau}} [/tex]

When I do plot for part b, I get exponential incerase. Does that sound right?

But when I do part (c), I don't get a circle nor elipse.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's clarify the problem statement. We are given a time dependence T(t) and we are asked to find its transform b(w). The transform is defined as:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int{T(t)e^{i \omega t}} dt

So, in order to find b(w), we need to plug in the given T(t) into this integral and solve it. Let's do that:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\tau}}e^{-t/2\tau}e^{i \omega t} dt

Next, we can simplify this integral by using the property of exponential functions that e^a * e^b = e^(a+b). So, we can write the integral as:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\tau}}e^{-t/2\tau + i \omega t} dt

Now, we can use the exponential rule that e^(a+b) = e^a * e^b, to rewrite the integral as:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\tau}}e^{-(t/2\tau - i \omega t)} dt

Next, we can pull out the constant term (1/sqrt(tau)) from the integral and we are left with:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \tau}}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-(t/2\tau - i \omega t)} dt

Now, we can use the rule that the integral of e^x is just e^x, to solve this integral:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \tau}} \Big[e^{-(t/2\tau - i \omega t)}\Big]_{0}^{\infty}

Plugging in the upper and lower limits of the integral, we get:

b(w)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \tau}} \Big[0 - e^{-(0/2\tau - i \omega 0)}

Related to Solving Fourier Transform of T(t) to Find b(w) and Plot |b(w)|^2

1. What is the Fourier Transform and why is it important in science?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze and understand the frequency components of a signal or function. It is important in science because it allows us to break down complex signals into simpler components, making it easier to study and manipulate them.

2. How do you solve for b(w) using the Fourier Transform?

To solve for b(w), you must first take the Fourier Transform of the function T(t). This will give you a new function in the frequency domain, which can be represented as b(w). This can be done using mathematical formulas or with the help of software tools.

3. Why is it necessary to plot |b(w)|^2 after solving for b(w)?

Plotting |b(w)|^2 (the magnitude squared of b(w)) allows us to visualize the frequency components present in the original function T(t). It helps us understand the relative strengths of different frequencies and can also reveal any patterns or trends in the data.

4. What does the magnitude of b(w) represent?

The magnitude of b(w) represents the amplitude or strength of the frequency component w in the original function T(t). In other words, it tells us how much of the frequency w is present in the signal.

5. How can the Fourier Transform be applied in different fields of science?

The Fourier Transform has various applications in different fields of science, such as signal processing, image and sound analysis, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and economics to analyze and understand complex systems and phenomena.