Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free energy change during adsorption

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    Suppose I have a dissociative adsorption reaction and want to find the free energy change ΔF, this can be written at constant temperature:
    [itex] \Delta F = \Delta E -T\Delta S[/itex]
    Now given the adsorption energy [itex] \Delta E_{ads} [/itex] I would like to extrapolate the Free energy assuming that the adsorbate is an ideal gas since I know the experimental entropy.
    I Assume that the vibrations from the adsorped moleule does not perturb the substrate vibrations and also that the configurational entropy is not changes(maybe rough):
    [itex] \Delta S = S_{ads}-S_{noads}[/itex]
    [itex] S_{ads} = S_{subs+a} - S_{subs}-S_{a} = -\Delta S_{vib,gas} -S_{gas}[/itex]
    The vibrations term does not need to be extrapolated but the gas term does so:
    [itex] S_{gas} = S^{\theta}_{gas} - c_p\log(\dfrac{T}{T^{\theta}}) + k_b\log(\dfrac{p}{p^{\theta}})[/itex]
    I feel like i am missing a term of the type [itex]- \dfrac{7}{2}k[/itex] since the translation of the gas is not possible when adsorbed.
    Does anyone know if I am right?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted