Free Oscillations of materials

In summary, the oscillatory motion of the mass is described by a function that is the sum of two sinusoids. The first sinusoid has amplitude A and frequency ω, while the second sinusoid has amplitude B and frequency 2ω.
adu1905
Problem

A vertical oscillating system consist of three equal springs with elasticity coefficient c , among which a mass m=2kg is suspended.The system oscillates according to the following law of motion x(t)=0,4 cos 4t+0,5 sin 4t , (m) .

Determine:

1) The equivalent elasticity coefficient ce of reduced spring.
2) For t=0 values for initial conditions x0 and v0
3) The natural frequency k
4) The oscillation period T
5) The amplitude A

Note = Please some help. I am high school student .Give me tips then i will try. Thanks to who helps.

Attachments

• Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
I got some ideas for the 3rd part of question.
I have to find natural frequency. And for this need The natural period of the oscillation .
And the natural period of the oscillation formulas in the attachment 2. (down)
And the naturel frequency formula is it the attachment 1. (up)
This are true or not ? And natural period of the oscillation means oscillation period ?

Attachments

• Image413.gif
    Image413.gif
    163 bytes · Views: 259
  • Image415.gif
    Image415.gif
    394 bytes · Views: 402
1) The force by a spring is given as [itex]F = -kx[/itex], where [itex]x[/itex] is the displacement and [itex]k[/itex] is the elasticity coefficient, if you move your mass a small amount what is the net force on it from your three springs?
2) You just need to evaluate x(0) and v(0), if you're stuck with the second see if you can remember how v is linked to x.
3) There is a formula for the frequency of a spring given the elasticity coefficient and the mass.
4) Period and frequency are very closely related, see if you can find the formula to convert them.
5) The mass will be at its furthest points when v = 0.

The equation of a simple harmonic motion is
x(t) =Asin(ωt+θ),
where ω is the angular frequency. It is 2pi times the natural frequency f :
ω = 2p*f. The time period is the reciprocal of the frequency: T=1/f.
A is the amplitude of the SHM and θ is a phase constant. x(t) is equivalent to the sum of a pair of sine and cosine functions of the same ωt:

x(t) =Asin(ωt+θ)=(Acos(θ))sin(ωt)+(Asin(θ))cos(ωt)=asin(ωt)+bcos(ωt).

The amplitude A is related to the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the right-hand side: A2=a2+b2.

Compare the function in the problem with the function in the equation above. What is the frequency and period? What is the amplitude A of the equivalent single SHM?

ehild

Last edited:
Can you help whit numbers because my english very bad.Its not my main language :(
x(t) =asin(ωt)+bsin(ωt) this is formul. And
x(t)=0,4cos4t+0,5sin4t how can i compare .
And note i am in high school.I thınk this kind of questions are hard for us ...I don't know where can i start.Please create equations whit my number .Thank you very much .

adu1905 said:
Can you help whit numbers because my english very bad.Its not my main language :(
x(t) =asin(ωt)+bsin(ωt) this is formul. And
x(t)=0,4cos4t+0,5sin4t how can i compare .
Sorry, I meant x(t) =asin(ωt)+bcos(ωt).
Your equation is x(t)=0.5sin(4t)+0.4cos(4t)

a sin(ωt) ≡ 0.5 sin (4t)

b cos(ωt) ≡ 0.4 cos(4t)

Numbers and symbols of the same colour are identical.

ehild

Last edited:
I think i found some answers.in the attachments...Please can you check ? this are 3-4-5 part of my question.What about the first and second part.

For second part. (For t=0 values for initial conditions x0 and v0 )

x(0) = 0,4 cos (4x0)+0,5 sin (4x0) ===> Cos 0 = 1 and Sin 0 = 0
x(0) = 0,4

is this true ? and what does v0 means ?

Attachments

• Photo0026.jpg
    Photo0026.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Photo0027.jpg
    Photo0027.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 345
Your answers are correct.
v0 is the velocity at time t=0. The velocity is the derivative of the displacement:
Do you know what derivative is?
ehild

Yes i know a little.First derivative of displacement is velocity.And second derivative of displacement is acceleration.
So İf t=0 then x0=0,4 ...And first derivative of x(t)=0,4cos4t+0,5sin4 is 0 isn't it ?
Then Vo is equal 0 ? ( Derivative of constant number is 0 ) ? :S

Last edited:
First do the derivation, then substitute t=0. Do you know the derivatives of cosine and sine?

If derivation is not clear to you yet, you certainly was shown that the oscillatory motion can be imagined as projection of uniform circular motion. See picture. A point moves along a circle of radius R with angular velocity ω. At any angular position α, x=Rcos(α) and y=Rsin(α). The velocity V is tangent to the circle, and its magnitude is ωR. The components of the velocity vector are Vx=-Rωsin(α), Vy=Rωcos(α).

It is a uniform circular motion, α=ωt. You can imagine that a function f(t)= Acos(ωt) is the x component of a circular motion along a circle of radius R=A, and the function g(t)=Asin(ωt) is the y component of the same circular motion. That is true also for the velocities, which are equal to the time derivatives of f and g.
f'=Vf = -Aωsin(ωt) and g'=Vg=Aωcos(ωt).

Your function is the sum of one sine and a cosine. The derivatives add up. Can you proceed? ehild

Attachments

• SHMcircle.JPG
    SHMcircle.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
@ehild I am very happy to meet whit you.Thank you very much.You helped me and tried to teach my classmates.We will get higher marks i am sure .Thanks again .

You are welcome. Hoping to meet you here soon again.:smile:

ehild

Hi again.My teacher told me everythink is true except elasticity coefficient ce of reduced spring - and Vo for t=0, if the law of motion x(t) is given x(t)=0,4 cos 4t+0,5 sin 4t ...Thanks again.

adu1905 said:
Hi again.My teacher told me everythink is true except elasticity coefficient ce of reduced spring - and Vo for t=0, if the law of motion x(t) is given x(t)=0,4 cos 4t+0,5 sin 4t ...Thanks again.

If x(t) = 0.4 cos (4t)+0.5 sin(4t) the velocity is -0.4*4 sin(4t) +0.5*4 cos(4t).
At t=0, v(0) = 2.

ehild

1. What are free oscillations of materials?

Free oscillations of materials refer to the natural vibrations that occur in a material without any external force or disturbance. These vibrations are caused by the material's own internal energy and characteristics such as mass, stiffness, and damping.

2. How are free oscillations different from forced oscillations?

Free oscillations are different from forced oscillations because they occur without any external force or disturbance, whereas forced oscillations are caused by an external force or disturbance acting on the material. Free oscillations have a natural frequency and amplitude, while forced oscillations have a frequency and amplitude determined by the external force.

3. What factors affect the free oscillations of materials?

The free oscillations of a material are affected by its mass, stiffness, and damping. A material with a higher mass will have a lower natural frequency, while a material with a higher stiffness will have a higher natural frequency. Damping, which is the material's ability to dissipate energy, also affects the decay rate of the oscillations.

4. How are free oscillations measured?

Free oscillations can be measured using various techniques such as a vibration analyzer, accelerometer, or strain gauge. These instruments measure the frequency and amplitude of the material's vibrations, which can then be used to calculate its natural frequency and other properties.

5. How can free oscillations be controlled or manipulated?

Free oscillations can be controlled or manipulated by altering the material's properties such as mass, stiffness, or damping. This can be achieved by changing the material's composition, shape, or adding damping materials. Additionally, external forces can be applied to the material to change its natural frequency or amplitude.