Frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of frequency for a bead vibrating on a parabolic track. The equations F=ma and F=mg are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involves using small angle approximation and Lagrangian method. The speaker also mentions choosing coordinate axes and finding a differential equation in x and t, but is unsure how to solve it.
azarue

Homework Statement

Calculate the frequency of a bead with a mass of m vibrating on a parabolic track equals to y=Ax2

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the bead at any point which isn't equilibrium, I have:

1. may =N-mgcosθ
2. max=mgsinθ

I tried to look at a simpler scenario where the bead follows a circular path, in that case I can use small angle approximation to claim that ay=0 and also sinθ=θ. also, I defined x=lθ where l equals the radius of the circular path.using that info, I can get the d2θ/dt=(g/l)*θ and the frequency equals to ω=√(g/l).

Now I'm trying to make some assumptions for the parabolic wire. so I'm pretty sure I can use small angle approximation same as above. as for x, I'm thinking about calculating 'x' using line integral, would that be the best way to go or am I should I look at this problem from a different angle?

Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write only forces that makes work: ## F_x = -mg\,\sin\phi\,\cos\phi ## and ## F_y = -mg\,\sin\phi\,\sin\phi ## where ## tan\phi = 2ax ##.

But this calculation ignore direction change. As gamma said below, may use Lagrangian calculation.

Last edited:
Hi,

For these types of problems, using Lagrangian method works well. I don't know what level of education you are in, but if you have learned that, the solution might become simpler. You would need to write an expression for kinetic energy and potential energy.

can you clarify how have you chosen the coordinate axes and what is θ in your diagram
i took my axes such that tan(θ) is dy/dx for the parabola
(sorry for the crudeness of my diagram )
bead.png

my equations were
1. mg-Ncos(θ)=may (ay=second derivative of y wrt t)
2. Nsin(θ)=max (ax= " '' " x wrt t)

after finding tan(θ)=-(ay+g/ax) i found dy/dx=2ax and equated the two

from them i got
2ax{d2y/dt2+g}+ d2x/dt2=0 ...3.

using the equation of parabola

d2y/dt2=2a{ (dx/dt)2+d2x/dt2}

substitute it back in eqn 3.

we will get a differential equation in x and t .which i do not know how to solve. let me know if u solve it.

1. What is the frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire?

The frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire is the number of complete back-and-forth oscillations the bead makes in a given period of time. This frequency is dependent on the length and shape of the wire, as well as the mass and position of the bead.

2. How is the frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire calculated?

The frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire can be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2π)√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant of the wire, and m is the mass of the bead. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and the equation for the period of a simple harmonic oscillator.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire?

The frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire is affected by several factors, including the length and shape of the wire, the mass and position of the bead, and the tension in the wire. Additionally, the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance can also affect the frequency.

4. How does the frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire change as the mass of the bead increases?

As the mass of the bead on a parabolic wire increases, the frequency decreases. This is because a heavier bead requires more force to move it, resulting in a longer period of oscillation. This relationship between mass and frequency is known as the inverse relationship.

5. Can the frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a bead on a parabolic wire can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, the frequency can be increased by decreasing the mass of the bead or increasing the tension in the wire. It can also be changed by adjusting the shape or length of the wire.