Friction and inclines problem. i

• Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ladder and the need for a better free body diagram to show the forces at the top and bottom of the ladder. The theorem of torque and force balances is mentioned, and it is stated that it is necessary to calculate torques about one of the contact points. The possibility of solving the problem without using torques is also brought up, but it is determined that it is not possible due to the need for three equations to solve for the three unknowns.
Terrell
[moderator note: moved from technical forums, no template]

this is fun but i am stuck. help! :) the first image states the problem and the second image is my futile attempt at a solution

Attachments

• aggh problem.png
    aggh problem.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 441
  • agghhh.png
    agghhh.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a better free body diagram, showing the forces at the top and bottom of the ladder.

Likes Terrell
Theorem. If a rigid body is in rest then the sum of torques about any point is equal zero and the sum of forces is also equal zero.
It is convenient to calculate torques about one of two contact points of the ladder and the wall/floor.

wrobel said:
Theorem. If a rigid body is in rest then the sum of torques about any point is equal zero and the sum of forces is also equal zero.
It is convenient to calculate torques about one of two contact points of the ladder and the wall/floor.
can i solve this without torques? i haven't got into torques just yet

Terrell said:
can i solve this without torques? i haven't got into torques just yet
No. You have three unknowns, the two normal forces and the angle. So you need three equations. Only two are available from linear force balances in two dimensions, so your third must be from torque balance.

Likes Terrell

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and can act in the opposite direction of an object's motion.

2. How does friction affect objects on inclines?

Friction can make it more difficult for objects to move up an incline, as it acts against the object's motion. It can also help objects stay in place on an incline, preventing them from sliding down.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an incline?

The amount of friction on an incline is affected by the type of surface the object is moving on, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. The rougher the surface, the heavier the object, and the steeper the incline, the more friction will be present.

4. How can friction be reduced on an incline?

Friction can be reduced on an incline by using a smoother surface, reducing the weight of the object, or decreasing the angle of the incline. Additionally, adding a lubricant between the object and the surface can also reduce friction.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated on an incline?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated on an incline. There will always be some level of roughness on surfaces, and some amount of contact between the object and the surface, resulting in friction. However, it can be minimized by using techniques such as lubrication or reducing weight and surface roughness.