1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions on rational numbers

1. Dec 27, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] functions on rational numbers

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all functions from Q to Q which satisfy the following two conditions:
    ii)f(xy)=f(x)f(y)-f(x+y)+1 for all x,y in Q

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can show by integers that if x is an integer, then f(x)=x+1. However, I am having trouble getting the value of the function for rational numbers. I want to do induction on n to get the inverse integers 1/n, but I cannot get 1/2. There is probably something clever you can plug in for x and y to get f(1/2), but I can't think of it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might have to solve for several rational numbers at once, rather than one at a time. Also, there might be more than one such function f, in which case all you can do is figure out where the degrees of freedom lie, and express all values of f in terms of them.
  4. Dec 27, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know more than you think. You can also show f(q+1)=f(q)+1 for all rationals q. What's f(q+n) for n an integer? What's f((m/n)*n)?
  5. Dec 27, 2007 #4
    What's f(q+n) for n an integer?

I can show that f(q+n) = f(q)+n when n is a positive integer. Any rational number has a representation m/n, where m is an integer and n is a positive integer.

f(m/n*n) = f(m/n)*f(n)-f(m/n+n)+1

m+1 =f(m/n)*(n+1)-f(m/n)-n+1

f(m/n) = (m+n)/n

I believe that is the only function that satisfies the two conditions.
  6. Dec 27, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe you are right. Notice f(m/n)=m/n+1. So the function is really just f(q)=q+1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?