Solving for Functions on Rational Numbers

In summary, the only function from Q to Q that satisfies the given conditions is f(q)=q+1. This can be shown by using induction on integers and rational numbers, and by using the fact that any rational number can be represented as m/n, where m is an integer and n is a positive integer.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] functions on rational numbers

Homework Statement

Find all functions from Q to Q which satisfy the following two conditions:
i)f(1)=2
ii)f(xy)=f(x)f(y)-f(x+y)+1 for all x,y in Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can show by integers that if x is an integer, then f(x)=x+1. However, I am having trouble getting the value of the function for rational numbers. I want to do induction on n to get the inverse integers 1/n, but I cannot get 1/2. There is probably something clever you can plug in for x and y to get f(1/2), but I can't think of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have to solve for several rational numbers at once, rather than one at a time. Also, there might be more than one such function f, in which case all you can do is figure out where the degrees of freedom lie, and express all values of f in terms of them.

You know more than you think. You can also show f(q+1)=f(q)+1 for all rationals q. What's f(q+n) for n an integer? What's f((m/n)*n)?

Dick said:
You know more than you think. You can also show f(q+1)=f(q)+1 for all rationals q. What's f(q+n) for n an integer? What's f((m/n)*n)?

What's f(q+n) for n an integer?

I can show that f(q+n) = f(q)+n when n is a positive integer. Any rational number has a representation m/n, where m is an integer and n is a positive integer.

Then

f(m/n*n) = f(m/n)*f(n)-f(m/n+n)+1

m+1 =f(m/n)*(n+1)-f(m/n)-n+1

f(m/n) = (m+n)/n

I believe that is the only function that satisfies the two conditions.

I believe you are right. Notice f(m/n)=m/n+1. So the function is really just f(q)=q+1.

What are rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. This includes all fractions, integers, and terminating or repeating decimals.

What is a function on rational numbers?

A function on rational numbers is a mathematical expression or rule that relates one rational number to another. It takes a rational number as an input and produces another rational number as an output.

How do you graph a function on rational numbers?

To graph a function on rational numbers, you can create a table of values by plugging in different rational numbers for the input and then plotting the corresponding outputs on a coordinate plane. You can also use the slope and intercept of the function to determine its shape and direction.

What are some real-world applications of functions on rational numbers?

Functions on rational numbers are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and science to model real-world situations. For example, a company may use a function on rational numbers to determine the cost of producing a certain number of products, or a scientist may use a function to represent the relationship between temperature and time in an experiment.

How are operations performed on functions on rational numbers?

Operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be performed on functions on rational numbers by applying the operations to the inputs and outputs separately. For example, to add two functions, you would add the outputs of the functions for each input.