Galilean Transformations Problem: Two moving Rockets+Missile

In summary, Mary and Frank are in rocket ships moving on the x-axis. Mary's ship passes Frank's ship at t0 = t0' = 0 with a speed "v" to the right. When t = t1 in Frank's frame, Frank shoots a missile with a speed "u" where u > v in the direction of Mary. At time t=t2 in Frank's frame, the missile hits Mary's ship. The process of events can be shown on an x-t diagram with Frank's frame as the observer, where his line is vertical due to his speed being zero. Mary's motion has a slope of v and a y-intercept of 0, while the missile's slope is u and its t-inter
Shadowmaker

Homework Statement

Mary and Frank are each in their own rocket ships moving along the x-axis. Mary's ship passes Frank's ship at t0=t0'=0 with a speed "v" to the right. When t=t1 in Frank's frame, Frank shoots a missile with a speed "u" where u>v in the direction of Mary. At time t=t2 in Frank's frame the missile hits Mary's ship.

a. Show the process of events on an x-t diagram showing Frank, Mary, and the missiles position as a function of time.
Given [t1, u, v ] Determine,
b. The slope and y intercept of Mary's motion on the diagram
c. The slope and y intercept of the missile on the diagram
d. From the two lines, calculate the time t2 and the positions x1 and x2 of the missile in Frank's frame
e. Using Galilean transformations, determine the time t1' and t2' of the events in Mary's frame.
f. Using Galilean transformations, determine the positions x1' and x2' of the missile in Mary's frame.

*Everything here is written exactly as it is on the sheet. Didn't change a thing.

Homework Equations

t=t'
x'=x-vt
y'=y
x=x0+v0t+1/2at2
v=v0+at
ux'=ux-v
uy'=uy

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has me very confused and I am not sure if the wording is off or if I'm simply not understanding.
Mary passes Frank with a speed of v relative to what?
In Frank's frame he fires a missile at speed u which is apparently greater than v but to Frank, Mary wouldn't be traveling at v right? She'd be traveling at v minus Frank's speed.

Ignore what I believe to be an inconsistency, I drew this picture of their positions with respect to time from an observer's frame.
script>

Ii0e75Q.jpg

and this one from Frank's frame
script>

jfQBZD9.jpg

to b) and c) I wrote that Mary's slope is v and the missiles slope is u, while both their y-intercepts are 0 because they're both moving along the x-axis. (I'm unsure if by y-intercepts it actually means t-intercepts)

but I get stuck on d), e), and f) using either method

edit-----------------------
for d) I did the following
From Frank's frame
x1 = 0 for the missile.

u(t2-t1) = vt2
isolating for t2 gets t2 = ((ut1)/(u-v))

and

x2 = ((u2t1)/(u-v)) - t1

for e) I used the formula above simply saying t1'=t1 and t2 = t2

and f) got me
x'=x-vt
x1' = x1 -vt1. x1 = 0
x1' = -vt1.

x2'=x2-vt2
x2' = ((u2t1)/(u-v)) - t1 - v((ut1)/(u-v))

I feel like its totally wrong

Attachments

• Ii0e75Q.jpg
    Ii0e75Q.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 316
  • jfQBZD9.jpg
    jfQBZD9.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shadowmaker,
The wording seems OK. You asked, "speed v relative to what?" This is the speed of Mary relative to Frank.
Yes, Mary is traveling to the right.
In Frank's frame, Frank's speed is zero of course.
Your first diagram appears correct. However, I believe it could be simpler; You could use Frank's frame as the observer, in which Frank's speed is zero and so his line would vertical. I see you did this on your second diagram and this looks right to me.

The y intercept of course means when t=0, as I think you understand. Mary's y intercept in Frank's frame would be at the origin, which you have correctly shown in your second diagram.

The "y intercept" of the missile, in Frank's frame, would be at t=0 which is before the missile is fired. So I agree with you that it seems more reasonable to talk about the t intercept, which is when x=0.

Regarding part d, your equation t2 = (ut1)/(u-v) seems right. I notice that if u=v, t2 is infinity. This means that the missile never hits Mary's ship, which is of course correct.

However, your equation x2 = ((u2t1)/(u-v)) - t1 cannot be correct because x2 is a distance, while the second term on the right, t1, is a time.

Thanks,
Gene

Likes Shadowmaker
Gene Naden said:
Hi Shadowmaker,
The wording seems OK. You asked, "speed v relative to what?" This is the speed of Mary relative to Frank.
Yes, Mary is traveling to the right.
In Frank's frame, Frank's speed is zero of course.
Your first diagram appears correct. However, I believe it could be simpler; You could use Frank's frame as the observer, in which Frank's speed is zero and so his line would vertical. I see you did this on your second diagram and this looks right to me.

The y intercept of course means when t=0, as I think you understand. Mary's y intercept in Frank's frame would be at the origin, which you have correctly shown in your second diagram.

The "y intercept" of the missile, in Frank's frame, would be at t=0 which is before the missile is fired. So I agree with you that it seems more reasonable to talk about the t intercept, which is when x=0.

Regarding part d, your equation t2 = (ut1)/(u-v) seems right. I notice that if u=v, t2 is infinity. This means that the missile never hits Mary's ship, which is of course correct.

However, your equation x2 = ((u2t1)/(u-v)) - t1 cannot be correct because x2 is a distance, while the second term on the right, t1, is a time.

Thanks,
Gene

Thank you very much! I already turned it in, but I believe I had the right answers before I did so, what you’ve written increased my confidence.

I did end up looking for the t intercept ultimately.

I used line the y=mx+b line form with the understand that the slope was actually 1/v and 1/u.

Since Mary’s t intercept was 0, hers was just y=mx.

In frank’s frame X1 = 0.

My last edit was using the mechanics formulas. I wasn’t sure about the time I got but I knew that the x2 was wrong because from mary’s frame, the missle at t2 should be at her 0.

Using the line’s formulas instead I got x1 = 0, t2 = ut1/(u-v)
And for x2 I believe* (as it’s not with me anymore) I got uvt1/(u-v) and when I converted it to x2’ it came out to 0 which is what it should have done.

Thanks!

1. What are Galilean Transformations?

Galilean Transformations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the relationship between two reference frames that are in motion relative to each other. These transformations allow us to convert measurements and observations made in one reference frame to the other, taking into account the relative motion between the two frames.

2. How do Galilean Transformations apply to the problem of two moving rockets and a missile?

In this problem, we have three objects (two rockets and a missile) that are all moving with different velocities relative to each other. Galilean Transformations can be used to convert measurements made in one frame (such as the velocity of the missile) to the other frame (such as the velocity of one of the rockets), taking into account the relative motion between the frames.

3. What are the key assumptions made in Galilean Transformations?

The key assumptions made in Galilean Transformations are that the reference frames are moving at constant velocities relative to each other, and that the laws of physics are the same in both frames. This means that the transformations are only accurate for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

4. How are Galilean Transformations different from Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Galilean Transformations were the first set of equations used to describe the relationship between moving reference frames, and were developed by Galileo Galilei in the 17th century. Einstein's Theory of Relativity, developed in the early 20th century, expanded upon these transformations and introduced new concepts such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not accounted for in Galilean Transformations.

5. Are Galilean Transformations still used in modern science?

While Galilean Transformations are not accurate for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, they are still used in many areas of science and engineering where objects are moving at slower speeds. They are also used as a simplified version of Einstein's Theory of Relativity in certain situations, such as when dealing with everyday objects and speeds.