Solving Electric Field of an Insulating Slab

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field due to a slab of insulating material with thickness 2d. The charge density of the slab is given by ρ(x) = ρ0 * (x/d)^2 and using Gauss Law, the electric field at all points in space is found to be (ρ0d)/(3ε) for |x| > d and (ρ0x^3)/(3εd^2) for |x| < d. There was a mistake in the attempted solution due to an inconsistency in the integration limits. The correct limits are 0 to d or -d to 0, as the line of symmetry is taken at the origin.
little neutrino

Homework Statement

A slab of insulating material has thickness 2d and is oriented so that its faces are parallel to the yz-plane and given by the planes x = d and x = -d. The y- and z- dimensions of the slab are very large compared to d and may be treated as essentially infinite.

Homework Equations

The charge density of the slab is given by ρ(x) = ρ0 * (x/d)^2 , where ρ0 is a positive constant. Using Gauss Law, find the electric field due to the slab (magnitude and direction) at all points in space.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached is a picture of my attempted solution. I don't know why both my answers are off by a factor of 2, could somebody explain?
The answer given is: |x| > d: (ρ0d)/(3ε) ; |x| < d: (ρ0x^3)/(3εd^2).
Thanks![/B]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately the image of your working comes out sideways.
It is not recommended to post images of handwritten working (though yours is more legible than most). Please type algebra into the post, preferably with latex.
Anyway... early on you write ##V = \pi r^2 (2x)##, then later integrate x from -d to +d. Seems inconsistent.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean... Could you elaborate?
I integrated from -d to +d because if |x| > d, there will only be charges on the insulating material until d.

little neutrino said:
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean... Could you elaborate?
I integrated from -d to +d because if |x| > d, there will only be charges on the insulating material until d.
Think about what your expression ##dV = 2\pi r^2 dx## means for some x. What does that volume consist of? Where is the 2 coming from? Now consider the dV you get for -x. Is it right to integrate x from -d to +d?

Likes little neutrino
Oh... Is it correct if I visualize it this way: for each dx, there will be dV of 2 circles of area πr^2, one on the + x-axis and the other on the - x-axis, because the line of symmetry is taken at the origin. So I should integrate from 0 to d or -d to 0, because the other side of the pillbox is already taken care of by the equation dV = 2πr^2 dx ?

*sorry about the presentation I'll learn how to use latex soon!

little neutrino said:
there will be dV of 2 circles of area πr^2, one on the + x-axis and the other on the - x-axis, because the line of symmetry is taken at the origin. So I should integrate from 0 to d or -d to 0, because the other side of the pillbox is already taken care of by the equation dV = 2πr^2 dx ?
Yes, 0 to d is adequate.

Ok thanks! :)

1. What is an insulating slab and why is it important to solve its electric field?

An insulating slab is a material that does not conduct electricity. It is important to solve its electric field because understanding the movement of electric fields in insulating slabs is crucial for many technological applications, such as designing and optimizing electronic devices.

2. How is the electric field of an insulating slab different from that of a conducting material?

The electric field in an insulating slab is different from that of a conducting material because insulators do not allow the free movement of electrons. This means that the electric field lines in an insulating slab are confined within the material and cannot move as easily as they can in a conducting material.

3. What factors affect the electric field of an insulating slab?

The electric field of an insulating slab is affected by several factors, including the material's dielectric constant, the distance between the slab's surfaces, and the type and magnitude of the external electric field applied to the slab.

4. How can the electric field of an insulating slab be calculated?

The electric field of an insulating slab can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference between the two surfaces of the slab, and d is the distance between the two surfaces. This equation is valid for a uniform electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the electric field of an insulating slab?

Solving the electric field of an insulating slab has many real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing insulating materials for electronic devices, determining the electric field inside capacitors, and studying the electrical properties of biological materials. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as solar panels and touchscreens.