1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law: Net Electric Field of Two Spheres

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two nonconducting spheres, of r1=3.0cm and r2=2.0cm, are placed of an x-axis. They have surface charge densities of +6.0mC/m2 and +4.0 mC/m2, respectively, on their outside surfaces. The center of sphere r1 is on the origin and the center of sphere r2 is 10 cm away. What is the net electric field at x=2.0 cm?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I noticed that x=2.0cm falls inside sphere r1 and that the Electric Field inside a sphere due to an outside charge equals 0. I think this is the answer but want to be sure.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    I do not think so!!!! because they are non conducting spheres..... so we can not ignore the effect of the second sphere, I guess!!! i will look it up more though...
  4. Sep 6, 2008 #3
    The field inside a uniformly charged sphere is zero (the field of THIS sphere vanishes), but the field outside a uniformly charged sphere is the same as if all the charge was at its center (we can treat it like a point-charge on most regards)... You should get your answer easily!
  5. Sep 6, 2008 #4
    Yeah I tried that before you told me and it was pretty easy and good to know the way i thought was right. I got -3.10x10^3 N/C because of the direction of the field
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?