Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gaussian infinite line charge, find force

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    -----problem-------

an infinite line of charge produces an electric field of 20N/C at a point that is 3 meters from the line. the electric field points toward the line of charge

what is would be the force (magnitude and direction) on a negative 6 microcoulomb charge that is located 6m from the line?

-----equations/constants----

i want to use E = force/q_test but the equation does not factor distance of 6m in

but if i use the F = kq_1q_2/r^2 equation i don't know the second charge

what should i do?

thanks

electric field line of charge E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r where lambda = 3.34*10^-9C/m, epsilon_o = 8.85*10^-12, r = 6m

capacitance C = Q/V where q is charge, v is electric potential

electric field E = F/q_test = kq/r^2 where F is force, k = 9*10^9, r is distance = 6m

force F = kq_1q_2/r^2

-----attempt-----

if i use the E = F/q_test equation it does not allow me to factor in distance/radius r of 6m

but if i use the F =kq_1q_2/r^2, i don't know what the the second charge is

what equation should i use?

thanks

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Since the electric field points toward the line of charge, the charge on the line must be negative. The electric field 20 N/C at 3 m from the line of charge is the vector sum of forces by all the charges. So you can find the field at 6 m from the line by applying inverse square law.

4. Jun 9, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use "E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r" to find lambda. You know E when r=3m. Once you have lambda, use the same formula to find E at r=6m. Once you have done that look back and think about how you could have treated this as a ratio problem and skipped actually solving for lambda.

5. Jun 9, 2008 #4
    so the inverse square law states Q/surface area = E area where Q is pt charge, since we are talking about a line charge, the surface area is the electric flux=2piLEr where L is length, E is electric field, r is radius ---> the E's cancel out though, how will i get force?

E = -6*10^-6/2piLEr where r = 6m...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Forces/isq.html

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. Jun 9, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

E's don't cancel out. L cancels out. What are you talking about? You have a formula "E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r". You just have to figure out how to use it.

7. Jun 9, 2008 #6
    when i did it L remained, the 2pi and r canceled out.

what would having L, the length do? do i use it as distance/radius to solve for force?

F = kq_1q_2/r^2 --> do i use L for r? i still don't have the second charge?

i think i have completely missed something

8. Jun 9, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r", I keep putting that in quotes because you stated it. Why don't you use it? "F = kq_1q_2/r^2" only applies to point charges. Don't use it. A continuous line charge isn't a point charge.

9. Jun 9, 2008 #8
    i did use that equation, the one in quotes, and set that equal to the E in the inverse square law. there is only one L in the inverse square law, the 2pi and r cancel but the L remains, ultimately you end up with length L.

i tried using the inverse square law except E is on the left and right side of the equation and would get cancelled out, that is why i use the eq in quotes, which yielded a value for L.

or i could use F = qE and use E = equation in quotes, because equation in quotes contains r plus i know lambda and epsilon_o

i think that is the eq to get me the force

correct?

10. Jun 9, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Didn't I say the inverse square law doesn't apply to things that aren't point charges? Why are you using it? You don't even need it. Yes, just use "E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r" and F=qE.

11. Jun 10, 2008 #10
    yes you were right, those eq's i got what i was looking for, F = 6.1*10^-5 N, away from the line

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook