1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law and Superposition of Fields

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    Gauss's Law and Superposition of Fields (edited again, something else wrong)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=25861&stc=1&d=1274275158.png

Right. The shape itself has charge Q, so it has charge density [tex]\frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 - \frac{4}{3} \pi (\frac{R}{2})^3} = \frac{6Q}{7\pi R^3}[/tex] Let's call this [tex]\rho[/tex]. If it were filled in entirely, then, it would have charge:

[tex] Q + \rho V = Q + \frac{6Q}{7\pi R^3}\cdot \frac{4}{3}\pi\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^3 = \frac{8}{7} Q[/tex]. (V being the volume of the small sphere.)

By Gauss's Law, the field at the surface of this filled sphere would be:

[tex] E = \frac{\frac{8}{7}Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 R^2} = \frac{2}{7 \pi \epsilon_0 R^2} [/tex]

Considering now the smaller, negatively charged sphere, this would be carrying a charge of

[tex]-\rho V = -\frac{6Q}{7\pi R^3} \cdot \frac{4}{3}\pi \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^3 = -\frac{Q}{7}[/tex].

The electric field at its surface would then be [tex]\frac{\frac{-Q}{7}}{4 \pi \epsilon (\frac{R}{2})^2} = -\frac{Q}{7 \pi \epsilon _0 R^2}[/tex].

The electric field at P of the shape, then, is the sum of the individual fields of the filled sphere and the negatively charged sphere - I don't get the answer I'm meant to, and I can't see what I've done wrong. It's probably something really stupid.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the correct answer. Note that (2/7) + (-1/7) = 1/7, which is the answer you are meant to get.

Oh, by the way, note that the answer you are meant to get has a 4 in the numerator and in the denominator, so multiply and divide your answer by 4. :wink:

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    Oh yeah. I didn't notice that 4 in the denominator. Knew it was something stupid! Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook