General physics contest problems

In summary, the first conversation discusses the position of a proton and an electron in a uniform electric field, and the possible outcome of their y coordinates being equal at equal times. The second conversation involves a comparison between the Hubble and Webb space telescopes, specifically in their ability to resolve objects at different angular separations. The third conversation discusses the net force and work exerted by a person pulling a box along the ground at constant speed, and the correct answer is C.
epl_manutd

Homework Statement

A proton sits at coordinates (x; y) = (0; 0), and an electron
at (d; h), where d >> h. At time t = 0, a uniform electric
field E of unknown magnitude but pointing in the positive y
direction is turned on. Assuming that d is large enough that
the proton-electron interaction is negligible, the y coordinates
of the two particles will be equal (at equal time)
(a) at about y = d=2000;
(b) at an undetermined value since E is unknown;
(c) at about y = d=43;
(d) nowhere: they move in opposite directions.

Homework Equations

qE=F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose b, but the answer is a

Q2 Question 20
TheWebb space telescope, scheduled to be launched in 2010,
will have a mirror 6m in diameter. Compared with the Hubble
space telescope, whose mirror has a 2:4m diameter, it will
be able to resolve objects whose angular separation is about
(a) 2.5 times smaller;
(b) 5 times smaller;
(c) an order of magnitude smaller;
(d) the same: the larger mirror only increases the amount
of light gathered.

(no idea of telescope)

Q3
A person pulls a box along the ground at constant speed. Considering
the Earth and the box together as a system, which of
the following is true about the net force F exerted by the person
on this system and the work W she does on it?
(a) F = 0 and W = 0 ; (b) F != 0 and W = 0 ;
(c) F = 0 and W != 0 ; (d) F != 0 and W != 0 .

These are not homework problems, just contest prep. It would be great if someone can give me a sol'n as i have spend some time thinking about the problems already.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
q1, oops:blushing: , i don't understand the choices, what's "y=d=2000"?:confused:

q2. theta~=sin(theta)=lambda/a, a is the diameter of the lens. theta is the separation angle. so 2.5 times

q3. F=0, W=0 since she is exerting forces on Earth and the box at the same time and the two forces are of same magnitude but opposite direction. draw a fbd and you'll get it.:smile:

I have no idea whatsoever about telescopes. Could you go a bit step by step for #2? Thanks.

For #3, the answer is actually C, which confuses me too

heck I'm still puzzled why the answer to 1) isn't d. Can someone help me?

If an electric field E points in the positive x-axis, then proton will be moving up and electron down. They will meet

sorry postive y-axis

q3 is tricky, sorry for the mistake, W!=0 since the person does little work on the ground (or idealistically 0 work has been done on the ground). Why? think about it, the person is like walking so the friction exerted by his/her feet is discontinuous.

for q2, always try wikipedia first, there're plenty of info which will help u understand it much better. good luck on CAP ^_^

Related to General physics contest problems

1. What is the format of a general physics contest problem?

The format of a general physics contest problem typically consists of a brief description of a scenario or situation, followed by a question that requires the application of physics principles to solve. The problem may also include a set of given variables and constants that are relevant to the solution.

2. How do I approach solving a general physics contest problem?

There are a few key steps to approaching a general physics contest problem. First, carefully read and understand the problem statement and any given information. Then, identify the relevant physics principles and equations that can be applied to the problem. Next, set up and solve the equations, making sure to pay attention to units and any assumptions. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve general physics contest problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve general physics contest problems. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct formulas and entering the values correctly. It's also a good idea to double check your calculations to avoid any errors.

4. Are there any common strategies for solving general physics contest problems?

Yes, there are a few common strategies that can be helpful when solving general physics contest problems. These include drawing diagrams, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify equations. It's also important to use units and pay attention to significant figures throughout the problem-solving process.

5. How can I improve my performance on general physics contest problems?

One of the best ways to improve on general physics contest problems is to practice, practice, practice! This will help you become more familiar with the types of problems that are typically asked and improve your problem-solving skills. You can also review and study key physics concepts and equations, as well as seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.