General Physics- Frictional Forces on Objects

In summary: The sled was accelerating, so all that work went into overcoming the acceleration. If there is no acceleration, what did all that dog work go into...The sled was accelerating, so all that work went into overcoming the acceleration.
Physics-Pure

Homework Statement

A block of mass 3 kg, which has an initial
speed of 9 m/s at time t = 0, slides on a
horizontal surface.
Find the magnitude of the work that must
be done on the block to bring it to rest.
Answer in units of J
I already got 121.5 for this problem

If a constant friction force of magnitude
4 Newtons is exerted on the block by the surface, find the magnitude of the acceleration of
the block.
Answer in units of m/s^2

How far does the block slide before it comes
to rest?
Answer in units of m

A team of dogs drags a 94.8 kg sled 2.63 km
over a horizontal surface at a constant speed.
The coefficient of friction between the sled
and the snow is 0.228.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
Find the work done by the dogs.
Answer in units of kJ

Find the energy lost due to friction.
Answer in units of kJ

Homework Equations

F = μmg

W = Fd

W = μmgd

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first third of problem one, but I don't know how to account for the frictional force.

For the second problem, I don't know how to account for the force of gravity.

Thanks anyone,
Physics-Pure

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Physics-Pure! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Physics-Pure said:
A block of mass 3 kg, which has an initial
speed of 9 m/s at time t = 0, slides on a
horizontal surface.
Find the magnitude of the work that must
be done on the block to bring it to rest.
Answer in units of J
I already got 121.5 for this problem

yup! :biggrin:
If a constant friction force of magnitude
4 Newtons is exerted on the block by the surface, find the magnitude of the acceleration of
the block.
Answer in units of m/s2

you're told what the frictional force is, so just use F = ma :wink:
For the second problem, I don't know how to account for the force of gravity.

it comes in your own equation F = µmg :wink:

Thank you very much :D

Now, what about part three of question one, and part two of question two?

come on, you know the rules :wink:

show us how far you've got! :smile:

I don't know how to begin them. D:

Physics-Pure said:
I don't know how to begin them. D:

Please summarize what you have so far, and what you do not understand. We certainly will not do your work for you, but perhaps if you summarize what is confusing you, we can offer a hint...

Well the problem is, is that I'm skipping honors physics at my high school and taking AP Physics as a Freshman. However, I am required to complete honors physics review work. Therefore, I have no physics knowledge whatsoever, and do not know how to begin the third part of question 1 and the second part of question two.

Physics-Pure said:
Well the problem is, is that I'm skipping honors physics at my high school and taking AP Physics as a Freshman. However, I am required to complete honors physics review work. Therefore, I have no physics knowledge whatsoever, and do not know how to begin the third part of question 1 and the second part of question two.

That doesn't help. Please summarize the questions that you are having trouble with. It's not clear where the question numbers are...

Physics-Pure said:
How far does the block slide before it comes
to rest?
Answer in units of m

Find the energy lost due to friction.
Answer in units of kJ

Those are the two sections to which I am referring.

If I understand where you are, you have the energy required to bring it to rest, yes? What is the equation relating work (energy), force and distance?

W = Fd. I have the answers to parts one and two of the first question, and part one of the second question.

Physics-Pure said:
W = Fd. I have the answers to parts one and two of the first question, and part one of the second question.

That's the right equation. You already calculated the work, and you know the force...

Alright, thank you. Now moving onto the second part of question two?

Physics-Pure said:
Alright, thank you. Now moving onto the second part of question two?

Yes, please do. Re-read the full question, and see if you can figure it out for yourself. Think about where energies are coming from and going...

I know that the work done by the dogs was 557.089 KJ, but I don't know how to find the energy lost due to the friction coefficient.

Physics-Pure said:
I know that the work done by the dogs was 557.089 KJ, but I don't know how to find the energy lost due to the friction coefficient.

Was the sled accerating or moving at a constant speed? If there is no acceleration, what did all that dog work go into doing?

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and can reduce the speed and movement of objects.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface that an object is resting on. It is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an object?

The amount of friction on an object is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the type of material the object is made of. In general, rougher surfaces and greater forces result in higher amounts of friction.

4. How does friction impact the motion of an object?

Friction can either slow down or prevent the motion of an object. It can also cause objects to change direction or rotate if the force of friction is not acting in the same direction as the motion of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of frictional forces?

Frictional forces are present in many everyday situations, such as walking, driving a car, and writing with a pencil. They are also important in engineering, as they can be used to create traction for tires and brakes, and to control the speed and movement of machines.