General Physics Question - Rod moving about a pivot

In summary, student is trying to solve for the velocity of a physical pendulum dropped from a horizontal position using conservation of energy, but is having trouble because of the rotational inertia of the rod.
integra2k20

Homework Statement

This problem involves a uniform rod of length L with a pivot at point L/4 (so that 1/4 of the rod is behind the pivot and 3/4 is in front of it). The rod is released from a horizontal position and drops down. You need to use conservation of energy to solve for the velocity when it is at the vertical position (when the energy is all kinetic). Then, using the idea of a physical pendulum, you have to calculate the period of oscillation if it is displaced slightly.

Homework Equations

mgy = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea for the solution is just to ignore the portion of the rod that is to the left of the pivot point (which is equal in length to L/4) and focus only on the remaining 3L/4 portion of the rod. I don't know, however, if this is the right way to approach the problem, or if there is something else i need to take into account.

Physics news on Phys.org
That won't work--every piece of the rod counts. Hint: What's the rotational inertia of the rod about its pivot?

Doc Al said:
That won't work--every piece of the rod counts. Hint: What's the rotational inertia of the rod about its pivot?

The rotational Intertia would be the sum of MR^2, so you would treat the portion to the left of the pivot as one mass and the portion to the right as one mass, taking the length of each R (radius) from the center of mass. I got 9ML^2/108.

Can this be solved by summing torques and setting equal to (I)(alpha), solving for alpha (rotational acceleration) and using a rotational kinematic?

integra2k20 said:
The rotational Intertia would be the sum of MR^2, so you would treat the portion to the left of the pivot as one mass and the portion to the right as one mass, taking the length of each R (radius) from the center of mass. I got 9ML^2/108.
You'll need to redo this calculation. You can certainly treat the stick as composed of two smaller sticks joined together. But you cannot treat a stick as if all its mass is located at its center of mass. Instead, add up the rotational inertia of each smaller stick to find the rotational inertia of the complete stick. (Or make use of the parallel axis theorem.)
Can this be solved by summing torques and setting equal to (I)(alpha), solving for alpha (rotational acceleration) and using a rotational kinematic?
Use conservation of energy, as suggested in the problem statement.

Doc Al said:
You'll need to redo this calculation. You can certainly treat the stick as composed of two smaller sticks joined together. But you cannot treat a stick as if all its mass is located at its center of mass. Instead, add up the rotational inertia of each smaller stick to find the rotational inertia of the complete stick. (Or make use of the parallel axis theorem.)

Use conservation of energy, as suggested in the problem statement.

I found the moment of inertia, but I'm not sure exactly how to set up the conservation of energy. Usually its mgy = 1/2Iw^2 (where w is angular velocity at the bottom), but in this case I'm not really sure what "y" would be.

Consider the change in height of the center of mass.

Doc Al said:
Consider the change in height of the center of mass.

the center of mass or the pivot point?

The pivot point is fixed.

Thanks for all the help thus far, Doc Al.
The last part of the question is: The rod is brought to rest hanging in the vertical position, then displaced slightly. Calculate the period of oscillation as it swings.

Now, since this is a physical pendulum, I know that the period is 2(pi)(I/mgd)^(1/2), where I is the moment of inertia of the rod about the pivot. I would assume that d, the distance of the pendulum, is ONLY the portion of the rod below the pivot point, am I correct?

integra2k20 said:
Now, since this is a physical pendulum, I know that the period is 2(pi)(I/mgd)^(1/2), where I is the moment of inertia of the rod about the pivot.
Good.
I would assume that d, the distance of the pendulum, is ONLY the portion of the rod below the pivot point, am I correct?
In that equation, d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass of the pendulum.

By the way I didn't really understand what you said about the Inertia, i thought I had it but i reread your post above and it seems that you said 9ML^2/108 was wrong. My method for doing this was treating the rod as if it were composed of two smaller rods, one to the left of the pivot, and one to the right, then summing the mass*radius^2 for each of the two sticks to get the total moment of inertia. For each mass, i used a fraction of "M" (the total mass of the rod) and for the radius i used the distance between the pivot and the center of mass of each of the two smaller rods. Thanks.

integra2k20 said:
My method for doing this was treating the rod as if it were composed of two smaller rods, one to the left of the pivot, and one to the right, then summing the mass*radius^2 for each of the two sticks to get the total moment of inertia. For each mass, i used a fraction of "M" (the total mass of the rod) and for the radius i used the distance between the pivot and the center of mass of each of the two smaller rods.
You seem to think that the moment of inertia of an object is [itex]MR^2[/itex], where R is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass. NO! That's true for a point mass, but not for an extended object like a rod. To derive the moment of inertial for a rod you must integrate [itex]dMR^2[/itex] for each element of mass (dM) within the object--since each element has a different R. Of course, you can just look up the moment of inertia for common shapes--like rods, cylinders, spheres, etc.

Example: The moment of inertial of a thin rod about one end is [itex]1/3 M L^2[/itex]--but using your (incorrect) method, you'd get [itex]M(L/2)^2 = 1/4ML^2[/itex].

Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#mix"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, you just saved me a lot of trouble. I found the correct answer to this problem, but was having trouble figuring out just how to get there. It makes sense now, a rod is not composed of a bunch of point masses. thanks

just one more question - over what interval would i integrate the function? L/3 of the rods length is to the LEFT of the point, and 2L/3 is to the RIGHT, so i would assume i integrate over -L/3 to 2L/3

integra2k20 said:
It makes sense now, a rod is not composed of a bunch of point masses. thanks
Actually, a rod is composed of a bunch of point masses--all at different positions, which is why you must integrate. But a rod cannot be modeled as a single point mass located at its center of mass.

integra2k20 said:
just one more question - over what interval would i integrate the function? L/3 of the rods length is to the LEFT of the point, and 2L/3 is to the RIGHT, so i would assume i integrate over -L/3 to 2L/3
If you wanted to do the integration yourself to find the moment of inertia of the rod about its pivot, you'd integrate from -L/4 to 3L/4--since the pivot is at L/4.

Related to General Physics Question - Rod moving about a pivot

1. What is the definition of a "rod" in physics?

A rod in physics is a long, thin object that is used to transmit or transfer forces and motion. It is typically considered to be a rigid body with a constant cross-sectional area along its length.

2. How does a rod move about a pivot in physics?

A rod moving about a pivot in physics is typically referred to as rotational motion. This occurs when one end of the rod is fixed in place while the other end moves in a circular arc around the pivot point. The motion is caused by a torque or twisting force acting on the rod.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a rod and its rotational motion?

The length of a rod has a direct impact on its rotational motion. According to the moment of inertia equation, the longer the rod is, the greater its moment of inertia will be. This means that a longer rod will require a greater force to cause the same amount of rotational motion compared to a shorter rod.

4. How does the mass of a rod affect its rotational motion?

The mass of a rod also has a direct impact on its rotational motion. The greater the mass of the rod, the greater its moment of inertia will be. This means that a more massive rod will require a greater force to cause the same amount of rotational motion compared to a less massive rod.

5. What is the significance of a pivot point in rotational motion?

A pivot point is the fixed point around which a rod or any other object rotates. It is crucial in rotational motion as it serves as the center of rotation and determines the direction and magnitude of the forces and motion acting on the object. The location of the pivot point also affects the moment of inertia of the object.