Solve for nGeometric Sequences: Solving for Number of Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of terms in a geometric sequence and walks through the steps to solve the problem. The conversation includes discussing the formula and solving for the term, as well as using logarithms and substitution to find the solution. Ultimately, the solution is found to be n-1=4, meaning that the sequence has 4 terms.
nomad2817

Homework Statement

Hi, I was trying to work out this question, but i kinda got stuck. Can anyone help me please?
Thanks

4. Find the number of terms in each of these geometric sequences.

Homework Equations

ar^n-1

The Attempt at a Solution

1250=2x5^n-1

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you mean [itex]1250=2*5^{n-1}[/itex] with n starting at 1? You're on the right track. What is the problem with the expression you found so far? You are unable to solve it for n? Hint: logarithm

Last edited:
i don't get what the next step is

What does n represent in that formula?

n is the term, but i don't know how to find it

"The term", you mean is the number of terms in the sequence. The first step in solving it is to put 5^(n-1) on one side and the other terms on the other side. Then take the logarithm on both sides.

so do i have to balance both sides and eliminate 1250?

An equation is balanced by definition. If you substitute x=5^(n-1) then the equation becomes 1250=2x. Now solve this equation for x and then back substitute x.

ps. Are you familiar with logarithms?

Thank you very much. I've just started learning about it, so I'm trying to get the hang of it, but thank you for helping me.

You're welcome, but have you found the solution?

1250= 2x so x=1250/2 x=625

oh no, I'm getting confused again. sorry

Correct x=625 and because we substituted x=5^(n-1) we know that 5^(n-1)=625. We now want to write 625 in terms of 5 raised to a certain exponent. For example we can write 8=2^3, 125=5^3. Try to write 625 in a similar way.

so it can be 625=25^2

Yes that is correct although not entirely what I had in mind. Note that you can write 25=5^2 therefore 25^2=(5^2)^2=5^4=625.

So now your equation becomes:

[tex]
5^{n-1}=5^4
[/tex]

Therefore n-1 equals...?

n-1= 5

No the two exponents need to be equal to each other, it is the only way the equation can hold. So I will ask you again n-1=?

What you're saying now is that 5^5=5^4. Convince yourself that this cannot be correct.

ohhhh n-1= 5-1?

Why do you think so, explain your reasoning behind it.

because 5^(5-1) which equals to 5^4

Well your reasoning and your answer are correct although a bit of a detour. You know that both exponents need to be the same therefore n-1=4.

ohhhhh, i see now. Thank you

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term after the first is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number called the common ratio.

2. How do you find the number of terms in a geometric sequence?

To find the number of terms in a geometric sequence, you need to know the first term, the common ratio, and the last term. Then, you can use the formula n = logr(an/a1), where n is the number of terms, r is the common ratio, an is the last term, and a1 is the first term.

3. Can you solve for n in a geometric sequence if the common ratio is less than 1?

Yes, you can still solve for n in a geometric sequence if the common ratio is less than 1. In this case, the sequence is decreasing, and the number of terms will be a positive fraction.

4. What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric sequence is Sn = a1(1 - rn)/(1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the sum of a geometric sequence?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding the sum of a geometric sequence if the common ratio is less than 1. You can use the formula Sn = a1/(1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This only works for decreasing geometric sequences with a common ratio less than 1.