How can I solve for d in terms of l and constants?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve an equation with variables and constants, specifically trying to solve for d in terms of l. The equation in question is d^2(...) + d(...) = constants, and the individual is struggling to solve it because both sides contain d. They suggest that the equation may be solvable if l is not a function of d. The other individual explains that, in general, if an equation has two independent variables, the solutions for one variable will be a function of the other.
UrbanXrisis
I don't know why I can't do this, all I need to do is to get the variable d on one side and everything else on the other side:

constants: the f's and s
variables: l and d

[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\frac{1}{l}-\frac{1}{f_2}}+d}-\frac{1}{d+l-s}=\frac{1}{f_1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{f_2-l}{df_2-dl+lf_2}-\frac{1}{d+l-s}=\frac{1}{f_1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d_f2+f_2l-f_2s-f_2s-dl-l^2+ls-df_2+dl-lf_2}{d^2f-d^2l+dlf_2+df_2l-dl^2+f_2l^2-sdf_2+dls-slf_2}=\frac{1}{f_1}[/tex]

when I try to solve for d, i get d^2(...)+d(...)=constants
I can't solve this because both sides will have a d in it, is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of equation is d^2(...)+d(...)=constants?

I bet you know how to solve (...) x^2 + (...) x + (...) = 0.

yes but the (...) has the variable l in it (l is not a constant), so I can't solve for d. I need to solve for d in terms of l

yes but the (...) has the variable l in it (l is not a constant), so I can't solve for d
So? How does that change anything?

What matters is that l is not a function of d.

What I'm saying is, if x and t are two independant variables, and we have

[tex]f(t)x^2+g(t)x+h(t)=0[/tex]

then the solutions for x are a function of t:

[tex]x_{1,2}(t) = \frac{-g(t) \pm \sqrt{g^2(t) - 4f(t)h(t)}}{2f(t)}[/tex]

What does "Solving for d" mean?

Solving for d refers to finding the value of the variable "d" in an equation or problem. It is a way to solve for an unknown quantity in order to solve the entire equation or problem.

What are the steps involved in solving for d?

The steps for solving for d may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involve isolating the variable on one side of the equation, using mathematical operations to simplify the equation, and then solving for the value of d using basic algebraic principles.

What are some common mistakes when solving for d?

Some common mistakes when solving for d include forgetting to perform the same mathematical operation on both sides of the equation, not distributing when necessary, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully check each step and the final answer to avoid these mistakes.

Are there any tips for solving for d more efficiently?

Yes, some tips for solving for d more efficiently include clearly defining the problem, writing out all the given information and known values, using logical steps and simplifying whenever possible, and carefully checking the answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

How can I improve my skills in solving for d?

To improve your skills in solving for d, it is important to practice regularly and try solving a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher to learn different problem-solving strategies and tips. Additionally, studying and understanding basic algebraic principles can greatly enhance your ability to solve for d.