Conflicted Feelings: Moving On from High School

In summary, moving on from high school can be a time of conflicting emotions for many individuals. While it marks the end of a significant chapter in one's life, it also brings about the excitement and uncertainty of new beginnings. The nostalgia for the past and the fear of the future can create a sense of conflict within oneself. However, it is important to embrace these conflicting feelings and use them as motivation to grow and move forward. Whether it is pursuing higher education, starting a career, or exploring new opportunities, the process of moving on from high school is a natural and necessary part of life.
Tsunami said:
Resistance is futile. :biggrin: :rofl:

So, both of you are into TNG, eh ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
So, both of you are into TNG, eh ?

You ask many questions, Gokul. We have noted this.

enigma said:
Yeah, I actually spent the entire day with her.

We went down the the Baltimore inner harbor to check out the aquarium and the boat tours (went on the sub and the lightship). Afterwards, we rented 'Big Fish' and got Chinese (and shared a pint of "Cherry Garcia" afterwards). Then we went to the brewery and stayed till last call with friends.

Inexplicably, she had as good a time as I did :cool:

Ah, Inner Harbour...where else ? Didn't have to wait in a mile long queue for Aquarium tickets, did you ?

And most girls don't especially enjoy the submarine...many seem to find it too claustrophobic...even for like a 20 minute walk-thru. Did she actually enjoy that ?

And the brewery...I imagine that was not in the Inner Harbour area ?

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't have to wait in a mile long queue for Aquarium tickets, did you ?
No, walked right up to the front. The sky was overcast, and they had been predicting PM thundershowers (which never came), so the crowds outside weren't too bad.

And most girls don't especially enjoy the submarine...many seem to find it too claustrophobic...even for like a 20 minute walk-thru. Did she actually enjoy that ?

Dude, she's an engineer! She was as fascinated with all the WW2 bells and whistles as I was! I wasn't embellishing when I said she's awesome! :approve:

And the brewery...I imagine that was not in the Inner Harbour area ?

Nope. Ellicott City. About 20 minutes by car from her place.

Are you going to call her tomorrow, Enigma? Or are you going to wait 3 days? (I heard there was some rule about that with guys..)

enigma said:
I gave the basic rundown a few posts up. Do you want more details than that?
What do YOU think? :wink:

She is totally wonderful. I was worried for nothing. She was totally cool about it. Totally wonderful.
Perfect. :smile:

Next date is as soon as is humanly possible. Most likely next Friday.
What? She's busy today? :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:
Are you going to call her tomorrow, Enigma? Or are you going to wait 3 days? (I heard there was some rule about that with guys..)
What kind of DUMB rule is THAT?? :rofl: :rofl:

so you're going out with that girl now? (been missing out a lot...haven't been on this site for months...haha)

Math Is Hard said:

Not if you're smitten.

I think that rule was "invented" when you're trying to act aloof so you don't scare off a person if you meet them at a bar or something. If you call right away, you seem "desperate" or something.

Astrophysics said:
so you're going out with that girl now?

Unless I do something stupid and scare her off.

Tsu said:
What? She's busy today?

Unfortunately, I am. Helping a friend move.

"Friends help you move.
Real friends help you move bodies."
(I've been told it's an old Jewish proverb)

Last edited:
Tsunami said:
What do YOU think? :wink:

Uhm. Otay.

Got to her place around 10am. I met her little devil dog. Apparantly she got her when she was 13 and was given full responsibility. Therefore, the dog didn't get trained properly. The dog seemed to like me, though (I have a feeling that was a test, which I passed). We then hopped onto the Metro down to the inner harbor. Apparantly the Red Sox beat the Orioles, because it almost seemed like there was an official pedestrian uniform we weren't aware of. Everyone was wearing Red Sox jersees and hats. We went on the submarine and the lightship which we both loved (and during which I cemented my opinion that she's awesome). Then we went and got hot-dogs for lunch at this place near the Hard Rock Cafe. This was followed by the Aquarium tour and dolphin show. Afterwards, we went back to her place so she could walk her dog. Had about 5 hours to kill until people got off work, so we watched "Mean Girls" (which was OK, for a teen flick), and then went out and got Chinese food, "Big Fish" (which was cool), and a pint of ice cream. After that, we drove to the brewery and hung out for several hours. Some friends she hadn't seen in years were there. I didn't feel abandoned at all. She is wonderful. Talked with her friends, but still stayed cognisant of the date. Totally cool. Afterwards, I took her home, said goodnight, and drove back to DC (at 2:30 in the morning).

enigma said:
She's awesome. I'm smitten. :blushing:

So am I. With Evo's daughter, I mean.

*Wonders if I have a chance*

Last edited:
enigma said:
Afterwards, I took her home, said goodnight, and drove back to DC (at 2:30 in the morning).

No good-night kiss, or are you just not telling?

A gentleman does not discuss such things :wink:

And the saying of the goodnight was very nice.

enigma said:
A gentleman does not discuss such things :wink:

It seems you're not one to kiss and tell.

Enigma, that is SO GREAT! :approve:

Any woman that enjoys touring a submarine is a keeper! :smile:

But maybe it wasn't just the submarine...maybe it was who she was with... :approve:

And guys...let me clue you in. When a girl gives you her "real" phone number. You NEED to call the next day (if not sooner).

*does a little happy dance*

Yay! Enigma, I'm so happy for you that your date went so wonderfully well! :smile: Yippee for you! She sounds wonderful (though I think you're already biased, but sometimes bias is a good thing). I take it you'll be racking up the mileage on your car for a while now (there are trains between DC and Baltimore if you get tired of the drive). Being full of smit is great too!

Ooops...almost forgot...inserts lots of chocolate for Tsu, and sends some to the rest of the sisterhood too...just in case. :rofl:

Last edited:
Evo said:
When a girl gives you her "real" phone number. You NEED to call the next day (if not sooner).

Does that also apply to us guys who are "phone challenged"?

Moonbear said:
Being full of smit is great too!
LOL! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Ooops...almost forgot...inserts lots of chocolate for Tsu, and sends some to the rest of the sisterhood too...just in case. :rofl:

Thanks, I needed that! Hazelnut truffles back at ya! :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
Thanks, I needed that! Hazelnut truffles back at ya! :approve:

:approve: Mmmmmm...yummmmy! Thanks...that's my absolute favorite chocolate! :approve:

Who knew that chocolate had such an effect on women. I sure didn't.

Math Is Hard said:
You ask many questions, Gokul. We have noted this.

Today, there was this Wiccan Festival on campus. :uhh: All sorts of witches and warlocks everywhere :devil: ! And then suddenly, I sensed it :bugeye:...and I ran as fast as I could ...I knew you folks were out there :eek:... waiting to trap me and use my entrails for jewelry.

Guess I got lucky this time... I beg thee mercy, O Powerful Sisterhood :cry:

Ah! I thought I saw you watching us! We were just finishing Recon's induction ceremony (which concludes with the sisterhood granting her a physical law to control) when I sensed you peeping at us. :bugeye:

but never fear - we are known to show great compassion and mercy to those who send us chocolate. :smile: :wink:

I have this lovely box of maple truffles that I've been saving up for a special occasion. :frown:

Here...take it...:cry: :cry:

mmMMMMMmmMmmMM..mmph...chomp..chomp.. Delicious! :smile:
<passes box of chocolates to sisters>
I can't speak for all, but I am certainly appeased! :biggrin:

MAPLE truffles? Oooooo... Well, hmmmmmm...

*slowly begins nibbling on a luscious maple truffle...oh man! these are SO good...mmmMmm...drool (jeez, I've got to get that fixed)*

Ya know? I believe I would enjoy just a tad bit more appeasement, please. :rofl: Wait! I'll need a beverage to accompany them. Milk! Yes! Be right back...

*scampers off to kitchen to get bowl of milk.*

I'm the seventh wonder of the veterinary world - the only puppy on the planet who HAS to eat copious amounts of chocolate! EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT FELLOW CANINES! :rofl:

Ah, about the flowers, I know its far too late to help, but i heard that the stems are best cut at a diagonal angle. Apparently this is better for the plants, think my Unlce told me that one.

Tsunami said:
I'm the seventh wonder of the veterinary world - the only puppy on the planet who HAS to eat copious amounts of chocolate! EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT FELLOW CANINES! :rofl:
You DO know chocolate is toxic to dogs right? :eek: :tongue:

Gokul43201 said:
I have this lovely box of maple truffles that I've been saving up for a special occasion. :frown:

Mmmmm, <chomp> thank you Gokul! <chomp> I was kidding about the entrails (puts down her pitch fork). :devil:

Just keep sending these chocolates <chomp snarf> and you will be fine. :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:

Maple? Hmmm...takes a tiny bite for a taste. Mulls it over. Snarfs down the rest! Licking my lips now. :tongue2: Yes, I think the sisterhood has been appeased, your entrails are safe...for now...just keep the chocolate coming. :biggrin:

You ladies sure didn't save any truffles for the rest of us, now, did you? :cry:

Monique said:
You DO know chocolate is toxic to dogs right? :eek: :tongue:
MONIQUE! Where have you been? I haven't seen you in forEVER!

Yes, chocolate is toxic to ALL dogs... EXCEPT ME! That's why I'm the seventh wonder of the veterinary world! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy, you are correct. Flower stems should be cut at an angle. :approve:

Tsunami said:
MONIQUE! Where have you been? I haven't seen you in forEVER!
I'm busy moving :smile: anyone up to give a hand? The wall still needs to have another layer of blue, the wood on the floor still needs to be finished laying, and lots of other stuff.. please bring some robes to hide the couches and curtains that have a floral pattern with :devil:

Enigma: your breakup was mutual, it was probably the right thing to do. Treasure the girl you're seeing now and always make her feel special :approve:

Arggggg. I want some girl trouble.

pace said:
Arggggg. I want some girl trouble.
Give us some then. :tongue2: :rofl: :biggrin: :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Right. I'm possibly over to Glastonbury festival next summer. I'll see what I can do ;)