Given 2 forces and a velocity?

In summary, Jet A needs a runway of at least 79.2 meters to reach its minimum takeoff speed of 285 kilometers per hour.
OxxCloudxxO

Homework Statement

Jet A 2.75*10^6 N catapult jet plane is ready for takeoff. If the jets engines supply a constant thrust of 6.35*10^6 N, how much runway will it need to reach its minimum takeoff speed of 285 km/h.

velocity initial = 0 km/hr
velocity final = 285 km/hr
F = 2.75*10^6 N
F= 6.35*10^6 N
Distance of runway = ?

Homework Equations

? See below

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so here's my problem. I can't figure out what equation(s) to use. I'm not even sure if we've been taught it yet (I'm doing the homework a few days in advance cause I'm doing really bad so far in the class) but I can't find the equation in the book. So here's what I've done so far:
Vf = 285 km/hr * 1000m/km = 285000 m/hr * 1 hr/3600 s = 79.2 m/s
Velocity final = 79.2 m/s
Velocity initial = 0 m/s

So I need help with what equation to use and I have one other question. Why are there 2 forces? Are you supposed to add them and get the net force or am I way off base? I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the acceleration?

It doesn't give me one. :( What I typed out is the problems exact wording:

A 2.75*10^6 N catapult jet plane is ready for takeoff. If the jets engines supply a constant thrust of 6.35*10^6 N, how much runway will it need to reach its minimum takeoff speed of 285 km/h.

I honestly cannot figure it out. I still want to know why they gave me 2 forces.

No, they didn't give you an acceleration, that was my hint to you :)
On the one hand, the acceleration is related to the change in velocity (which is an important factor in the problem) and on the other hand acceleration has to do with forces (which are given), so it is the missing link in finding the answer.
Do you know of any relationships or formulas involving acceleration? Can you quote one or more of Newtons laws?

Sorry about not picking up on the hint. I thought you wanted more information and I was sad cause I didn't have any more.

The only one of Newtons laws we've covered in detail is force = mass times acceleration (f=ma). So you could do:
F=m*(v/t)
But you don't have the mass or the time. I'm so confused :( Can I have another hint?

And why do I have 2 forces? I understand they're different pieces of information but do I add them for net force or just use one or... I don't know. (btw, I'm not trying to get the answer from you guys, I just want to know how to solve it so I can understand it better in class. Please don't tell me the answer.)

Just a thought. Is the 2.75*10^6 N a force that propels the jet, or is it the weight? Because if that number is the weight of the jet, you could figure out the mass.

roz77 is spot on.
A 2.75*10^6 N catapult jet plane is ready for takeoff.
In this sentence, the weight of the plane is given in terms of Newtons. Remember that weight is a consequence of gravity, because the Earth pulls on a mass of 1 kg with a force of [itex]g \approx 10[/itex] Newtons. So instead of saying; the mass is 1000 kg, you can also say: the weight is 10 000 N.

Ok sweet I finally figured it out. You would divide the 2.75*10^6 by -9.8 to get the weight in kg. You would then use that to figure out the acceleration with F=ma. And then use an equation (forgot which one but I managed to do the problem) to solve for distance. Thanks for your help everyone!

OxxCloudxxO said:
Ok sweet I finally figured it out. You would divide the 2.75*10^6 by -9.8 to get the weight in kg. You would then use that to figure out the acceleration with F=ma. And then use an equation (forgot which one but I managed to do the problem) to solve for distance.
You forgot [tex]s = \frac12 a t^2[/tex] - and yes, that was the solution to the problem.

OxxCloudxxO said:
Thanks for your help everyone!
You are welcome.

Related to Given 2 forces and a velocity?

1. What is the equation for calculating the resulting force?

The resulting force is calculated by adding the two given forces together and taking into account the direction and magnitude of each force. The equation is F = F1 + F2, where F represents the resulting force, F1 represents the first given force, and F2 represents the second given force.

2. How do I determine the direction of the resulting force?

The direction of the resulting force can be determined by using the law of cosines. This law states that the square of the resulting force is equal to the sum of the squares of the two given forces, minus two times the product of the two forces and the cosine of the angle between them. The angle between the two forces can be found using the law of sines.

3. Can the resulting force be greater than the sum of the two given forces?

Yes, it is possible for the resulting force to be greater than the sum of the two given forces. This can happen when the two forces are acting in the same direction, resulting in a larger force. For example, if a person pushes a box with a force of 10N and another person pushes the same box with a force of 15N in the same direction, the resulting force would be 25N.

4. What is the role of velocity in this scenario?

The velocity of an object is the measure of its speed and direction. In this scenario, the given velocity indicates the direction in which the forces are acting. The resulting force will also have a direction, which will be determined by the combination of the given forces and the given velocity.

5. Can the resulting force be negative?

Yes, the resulting force can be negative. This can happen when the two given forces are acting in opposite directions. In this case, the resulting force would be the difference between the two forces, and its direction would be in the direction of the larger force. For example, if a person is pulling a box with a force of 10N to the right, and another person is pushing the same box with a force of 15N to the left, the resulting force would be -5N to the left.