1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given two vectors find a unit vector that is perpendicular

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    Given two vectors \vec{A} = - 2.00 \hat{ i } + 3.00 \hat{ j } + 4.00 \hat{k} and \vec{B} = 3.00 \hat{ i } + 1.00 \hat{ j } - 3.00 \hat{k}. Obtain a unit vector perpendicular to these two vectors.

Express your answer as a unit vector N_unit in the form N_x, N_y, N_z where the x, y, and z components are separated by commas.

i know this involves the cross product but im stuck on what to do, can someone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fist calculate the cross product of the two vectors

[tex]\vec{A} = - 2.00 \hat{ i } + 3.00 \hat{ j } + 4.00 \hat{k}[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{B} = 3.00 \hat{ i } + 1.00 \hat{ j } - 3.00 \hat{k}[/tex]

ehild

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    i get -13, 6, -11, if my calculations are correct. do i need to find the magnitude of this? sqrt of 326... hen divide by this amount for each. Do I also need to change the +/- signs to make it perpendicular

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vector product is correct. The magnitude is correct. Yes, divide each component with the magnitude. You can use the signs as they are or change all to opposite, the vector stays perpendicular.

ehild

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5
    ty so much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook