GM Launches Hybrid Chevrolet Volt

• Thread starter Dr Lots-o'watts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gm Volt
In summary, there is discussion about the new hybrid Chevrolet Volt and its price point. Some individuals have seen advertisements for it and are considering purchasing a regular hybrid. Others have seen the vehicle on the road and are not impressed with its performance compared to older, more efficient options. There is also mention of a 100+ mpg vehicle called the Aptera.
Physics news on Phys.org
No. But I have started seeing ads on tv for it. Also, just today I saw my first tv ad for electric 'filling' stations.

I'll consider a regular hybrid (I may be in the market this coming year), but I'm not real keen on spending $30,000 for a $20,000 car. We'll see what the economics looks like in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Friends with a couple of firms in the city (DC) are leasing a couple dozen of them.

I'm to poor to buy one but I've been seeing them just about every day for the past two months.

I'm not at all impressed with the hybrids currently on the market. You see, back in high school and college we had a VW Rabbit Diesal that got 48 mpg, could carry five adults (four comfortably), and had a decent trunk space.

Then there's the http://www.aptera.com/", a true 100+ mpg vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a "hybrid" car?

A hybrid car is a type of vehicle that uses a combination of a traditional gasoline engine and an electric motor to power the vehicle. This allows for improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions compared to traditional gasoline-only cars.

How does the Chevrolet Volt hybrid work?

The Chevrolet Volt uses a technology called "plug-in hybrid" where the car can be charged by plugging it into an electrical outlet. The car then uses the stored electric energy to power the electric motor, and switches to the gasoline engine when the battery is depleted. This allows for longer driving range and improved fuel economy.

What is the estimated fuel economy of the Chevrolet Volt?

The Chevrolet Volt has an estimated fuel economy of 106 MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) in electric mode, and 42 MPG in gasoline mode. This results in an average fuel economy of 53 MPG combined.

Is the Chevrolet Volt a fully electric car?

No, the Chevrolet Volt is a plug-in hybrid car which means it has both an electric motor and a gasoline engine. It can be driven on electric power alone, but also has a gasoline engine for longer trips or when the battery is depleted.

How much does the Chevrolet Volt cost?

The starting price for the Chevrolet Volt is $33,520. However, this price may vary depending on trim level, additional features, and location.