Go-to source for steel ttt diagrams?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a reliable source for ttt diagrams for specific materials, specifically SA-516 70. They have had trouble finding this information through Google searches and are asking if there is a go-to source. The other person suggests that manufacturers and suppliers of metals often provide this information and asks for more details about the specific heat treatment.
Pattonias
I am working on a heat treatment plan, and I am curious if there is a go-to source for ttt diagrams for particular materials. I am working with SA-516 70, but it would be nice if there was one place where I could go to get current/reliable information. So far google searches have been unsuccessful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand .

Manufacturers and suppliers of metals generally provide all the information needed .

Have you any specific difficulty ?

Pattonias said:
I am working on a heat treatment plan, and I am curious if there is a go-to source for ttt diagrams for particular materials. I am working with SA-516 70, but it would be nice if there was one place where I could go to get current/reliable information. So far google searches have been unsuccessful.
What kind of heat treatment? Is it a post weld heat treatment?

1. What is a steel ttt diagram and why is it important?

A steel ttt (time-temperature-transformation) diagram is a plot that shows the relationship between time, temperature, and the transformation of different phases of steel. It is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the microstructure and properties of steel at different temperatures and times, which is crucial for designing and manufacturing steel products.

2. How is a steel ttt diagram created?

A steel ttt diagram is created by heating a sample of steel to a specific temperature and holding it at that temperature for a designated amount of time, then rapidly cooling it. The resulting microstructure is then examined under a microscope and plotted on a graph with temperature on the x-axis and time on the y-axis.

3. What information can be obtained from a steel ttt diagram?

A steel ttt diagram provides information about the phases present in steel at different temperatures and times, as well as the rate of transformation between these phases. It can also give insight into the hardenability, strength, and toughness of steel.

4. How does the composition of steel affect its ttt diagram?

The composition of steel, especially the amount of carbon and other alloying elements, can greatly impact its ttt diagram. Higher carbon content, for example, can lead to a faster transformation from austenite to martensite, resulting in a harder and more brittle steel.

5. How is a steel ttt diagram used in industry?

In industry, a steel ttt diagram is used to guide the heat treatment process for steel. By understanding the transformation behavior of different steel compositions, engineers can design heat treatment processes to achieve specific microstructures and properties in the final product. This is essential for producing high-quality and reliable steel products for various applications, such as construction, automotive, and aerospace industries.