Good references for quantum spin chains

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in condensed matter theory and their search for references on exactly solvable spin chains. They express concern about tackling this new area of research but seek advice and suggestions from the other person. The recommended references include the works of Alexei Kitaev, John Preskill, and the book "Quantum Phase Transitions in Transverse Field Spin Models" by Subir Sachdev. The speaker is encouraged to also seek guidance from colleagues and experts in the field.
pinu
Hi folks,
I work in theoretical high energy physics. Recently I got interested in condensed matter theory. But each time I see some spin system I get scared thinking another one must be waiting for me! Can some one suggest me some reference(s) where these spin chains, specially those which are exactly solvable, are studied extensively?
Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can definitely understand your concern about tackling new areas of research, especially when it involves a different field of physics. However, I believe that expanding your knowledge and exploring new topics can greatly benefit your understanding and skills as a scientist.

In terms of references for studying exactly solvable spin chains, I would recommend looking into the works of Alexei Kitaev and John Preskill. They have made significant contributions in this area and have published several papers on exactly solvable spin systems. Additionally, the book "Quantum Phase Transitions in Transverse Field Spin Models" by Subir Sachdev is a great resource for understanding the theoretical aspects of spin chains.

I would also suggest reaching out to colleagues or experts in the field for guidance and advice. Networking and collaboration can greatly enhance your understanding and progress in this new area of research.

I wish you all the best in your exploration of condensed matter theory and I hope these references will be helpful to you. Good luck!

1. What is a quantum spin chain?

A quantum spin chain is a one-dimensional system of interacting quantum particles with spin degrees of freedom. It is often used as a model for studying quantum phase transitions and quantum critical phenomena.

2. Why are spin chains important in quantum physics?

Spin chains play a crucial role in understanding many-body quantum systems, as they provide a simple yet rich model for studying quantum entanglement, quantum information processing, and topological states of matter.

3. What are some common examples of spin chains?

Some common examples of spin chains include the Heisenberg chain, the XY chain, and the Ising chain. These models have been extensively studied in both theoretical and experimental settings.

4. What are some good references for learning about quantum spin chains?

Some good references for learning about quantum spin chains include the books "Quantum Spin Chains" by John Preskill and "Quantum Phase Transitions" by Subir Sachdev. Additionally, there are many research articles and lecture notes available online.

5. How are spin chains relevant to current research in quantum computing?

Spin chains are being studied as potential building blocks for quantum computers, as they can be used to encode and manipulate quantum information. They are also important for understanding the behavior of quantum systems in the presence of noise and errors.