Solving GPE of Satellite in Circular Orbit

In summary: This is only true on Earth's surface. But we also use it because it is a good approximation when near Earth's surface as well. How do you find... g?
crafty2288

Homework Statement

i) Show that when a satellite (or planet) is in a circular orbit it's kinetic energy (positive) is one-half of it's potential energy (negative).

ii) Show that in order to escape from the Earth you need a speed v=sqrt(2gR) where g=9.8 m/s^2. Neglect Friction and effects of Earth's rotation.

Homework Equations

PE= -GMm/R
KE= (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm doing some kind of basic algebra wrong here.

I was trying to do part 1 by solving (1/2)KE=PE

So, (1/2)(1/2)mv^2 = GMm/R
(1/4)v^2 = GM/R
v^2 = 4GM/R
and v=sqrt(4GM/R)

So in the process of trying to find the answer of part 1, I got close to the answer for part 2 (If I had made KE=PE), but now I'm just confused. Is the "1/2" in the equation for KE already accounting for this? Should I be looking at it like mv^2=PE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy is one-half of potential energy. That means KE=1/2PE, not 1/2KE=PE. However, you shouldn't start off by assuming what you're trying to prove; that just leads to confusing logic. Instead, assume the satellite orbits at a radius R. Find its potential energy, find its kinetic energy, and you'll see that KE=1/2PE.

So just plug in a random mass and a random radius? I don't have any values to use... I'd need a mass, a radius... Which I could pick anything... But what about velocity? I can't just pick something there. And I can't find velocity without a change in distance and time.

Last edited:
crafty2288 said:
So just plug in a random mass and a random radius? I don't have any values to use... I'd need a mass, a radius... Which I could pick anything... But what about velocity? I can't just pick something there. And I can't find velocity without a change in distance and time.

Just keep your equations with the variables in them such as r and M. For the velocity, do you know what orbital velocity is equal to? Remember it is in circular orbit. What is the force on it?

zachzach said:
Just keep your equations with the variables in them such as r and M. For the velocity, do you know what orbital velocity is equal to? Remember it is in circular orbit. What is the force on it?

I just had to look that up, because I can't find it in the textbook chapter at all.

But, I found V=sqrt(GM/r)
So KE=(1/2)*m*(sqrtGM/r)^2 or (1/2)*m*(GM/r)

So basically that means
PE= -GMm/R
KE=(1/2) GMm/R

I think that's satisfactory for part 1, if I did that right. Because PE is negative, KE is positive, and KE is 1/2 PE.
Im not sure how to approach Part II though.

I think that KE=PE to escape earth... so...
(1/2)mv^2 = GMm/R
v^2 = 2GM/R
and v=sqrt(2GM/R)

But I'm supposed to find v=sqrt(2gR)...Where am I going wrong here? I think I am confused about what needs to happen to escape earth.

crafty2288 said:
I just had to look that up, because I can't find it in the textbook chapter at all.

But, I found V=sqrt(GM/r)

So KE=(1/2)*m*(sqrtGM/r)^2 or (1/2)*m*(GM/r)

So basically that means
PE= -GMm/R
KE=(1/2) GMm/R

I think that's satisfactory for part 1, if I did that right. Because PE is negative, KE is positive, and KE is 1/2 PE.

Im not sure how to approach Part II though.

I think that KE=PE to escape earth... so...
(1/2)mv^2 = GMm/R
v^2 = 2GM/R
and v=sqrt(2GM/R)

But I'm supposed to find v=sqrt(2gR)

...Where am I going wrong here?

Yep looks right to me for the first part. To get the orbital velocity all you do is set the force of gravity (GMm/r^2) equal to ma. But the acceleration is centripetal (a = v^2/r) since it is a circular orbit. Solve for v and voila.

For escape velocity it looks right as well. What does g equal in v=sqrt(2gR)?

zachzach said:
Yep looks right to me for the first part. To get the orbital velocity all you do is set the force of gravity (GMm/r^2) equal to ma. But the acceleration is centripetal (a = v^2/r) since it is a circular orbit. Solve for v and voila.

For escape velocity it looks right as well. What does g equal in v=sqrt(2gR)?

g is 9.8 ms/^2... But I'm not seeing how that makes it equal to v=sqrt(2GM/R)?

crafty2288 said:
g is 9.8 ms/^2... But I'm not seeing how that makes it equal to v=sqrt(2GM/R)?

This is only true on Earth's surface. But we also use it because it is a good approximation when near Earth's surface as well. How do you find g?

Oooooooook! g = GM/R^2

So v=sqrt(2gR)... v=sqrt(2(GM/R^2)R)...v=sqrt(2GM/R)

Success!

Much thanks. This is a study guide for an upcoming physics exam, so I really appreciate you helping me to understand where everything was coming from.

Yup no problem ;)

1. What is the formula for solving GPE of a satellite in circular orbit?

The formula for solving GPE (Gravitational Potential Energy) of a satellite in circular orbit is GPE = (-GMm)/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body (usually the planet or star), m is the mass of the satellite, and r is the radius of the orbit.

2. How does the distance from the center of mass affect the GPE of a satellite in circular orbit?

The GPE of a satellite in circular orbit is directly proportional to the distance from the center of mass. This means that as the distance increases, the GPE also increases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the GPE decreases.

3. How does the mass of the satellite affect the GPE in a circular orbit?

The mass of the satellite has a direct impact on the GPE in a circular orbit. As the mass of the satellite increases, the GPE also increases, and vice versa. This is because the larger the mass, the more gravitational potential energy is required to keep the satellite in orbit.

4. What is the significance of solving GPE of a satellite in circular orbit?

Solving GPE of a satellite in circular orbit is important because it helps us understand the energy required to keep a satellite in orbit around a larger body. It also allows us to calculate the orbital speed and period of the satellite, which are crucial in space exploration and satellite communication.

5. How is the concept of GPE applied in real-life situations?

The concept of GPE is applied in various real-life situations, such as satellite communication, space missions, and even everyday activities like throwing a ball or jumping. It helps us understand the potential energy associated with objects in orbit and how it can be used to our advantage in various fields.