Graph the functions problem

In summary, the correct answer is (D) and it can be obtained by applying the chain rule twice and carefully considering the nested functions involved. One way to do this is by setting u=1-2x and v=sin(u), and then using substitution to obtain the final answer.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
If [tex]y=sin^3(1-2x)[/tex] then [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=?[/tex]
a)[tex]3sin^2(1-2x)[/tex]
b)[tex]-2cos^3(1-2x)[/tex]
c)[tex]-6sin^2(1-2x)[/tex]
d)[tex]-6sin^2(1-2x)cos(1-2x)[/tex]
e)[tex]-6cos^2(1-2x)[/tex]

Here is my work:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3cos^2(1-2x)(-2)=-6cos^2(1-2x)[/tex]

When I checked the problem with my friend, he had (B) and after we discussed it we decided to graph the functions to find the answer and according to that the answer is (D). Can someone show me the work for that answer, I don't really understand how it could be obtained.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer is d). Apply the chain rule more carefully. There are three nested functions to consider here : sin(z), y^3, (1 - 2x). You missed out on differentiating the sin(z) part

Last edited:
D) is certainly the correct answer.
When using the chain rule, it is crucial to be clear on what is the outer function and what is the kernel(s).

In order to develop a proficiency in this, you should begin with being VERY careful
(as you get more experience, you can drop a few of the intermediate steps:
Here's one way
1. Set u(x)=1-2x
2) Set v(u)=sin(u)
3) Set w(v)=v^3

Hence,
[tex]y(x)=w(v(u(x)))[/tex]
Or:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dw}{dv}\frac{dv}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
Now, we have:
[tex]\frac{dw}{dv}=3v^{2},\frac{dv}{du}=\cos(u), \frac{du}{dx}=-2[/tex]

Now, assemble your answer.

The answer is (D). You have to apply the chain rule twice.

A little elaborate way to use the chain rule is by substitution:
Let [itex]u=\sin(v)[/itex] and [itex]v=1-2x[/itex]

Then:
[tex]y=u^3[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dv}\frac{dv}{du}[/tex]

Work it out and you'll get (D).

1. What is the purpose of graphing functions?

The purpose of graphing functions is to visually represent the relationship between two variables. By plotting points on a graph and connecting them, we can see how the values of one variable change in relation to the values of the other variable. This helps us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

2. How do I choose the scale for the x and y axes?

The scale for the x and y axes should be chosen based on the range of values for each variable. It is important to choose a scale that allows all the points to be plotted and to evenly space the tick marks. It may also be helpful to use a scale that includes zero as a reference point.

3. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function?

A linear function is a mathematical relationship where the output (dependent variable) varies directly with the input (independent variable). This means that as the input increases by a certain amount, the output also increases by a certain amount. A nonlinear function does not have a constant rate of change and may have a curved or irregular graph.

4. How do I find the domain and range of a function using a graph?

To find the domain of a function using a graph, we look at the range of values on the x-axis. The domain is the set of all possible values for the input (x). To find the range, we look at the range of values on the y-axis. The range is the set of all possible values for the output (y).

5. Can I graph a function with more than two variables?

No, a function can only have two variables. A graph with more than two variables would require a three-dimensional graph, which is not typically used to graph functions. However, we can graph multiple functions on the same graph, each with their own set of x and y values.