Graphing a function V.S. another function

In summary, the conversation discusses using MATLAB for plotting parametric equations, specifically horizontal and vertical displacement of a projectile as a function of time. The exercise involves plotting the two functions against each other, leading to a realization that the x-axis is not the input and the y-axis is not the output. The meaning of this graph is the vertical displacement at a particular horizontal displacement, evaluated at the same time values. The conversation also mentions the use of pythagorean identity to simplify the equations and possibly recognize them as a circle.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm really use to graphing a function vs x, were the x-axis would be the input to the function and the output would be the vertical function, were at each point on the graph would be the output evaluated at that particular x value

So I'm learning how to use MATLAB for my degree and the below is a exercise from my book

x_x(t) = t V_0 cos(theta)
x_y(t) = t V_0 sin(theta) + (a t^2)/2

were
x_x(t) = horizontal displacement of a projectile as a function of time in
x_y(t) = vertical displacement of a projectile as a function of time
t = 0:.01:20 s (all the values that occur by increments of .01 from 0 to 20)
theta = pi/4
a = -9.8 m/s^2

the particular exercise had me plotting x_y(t) V.S. x_x(t) on a graph, this is when I realized I had never done such a thing before were the x-axis is not the input and the y-axis is the output of some function evaluated at that particular x value... So I was wondering what exactly is the meaning of this graph, it's the vertical displacement that occurs at a particular horizontal displacement? Sense there evaluated at the same time values? but I was wondering if there was any way to come up with the function that describes the plot?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
These are called parametric equations.

Square both equations. Then add them. Simplify using the pythagorean identity. Try to recognize the resulting single equations as a circle = something.

1. How do you graph two functions on the same coordinate plane?

To graph two functions on the same coordinate plane, plot the points for each function separately and then connect the points with a line or curve. Make sure to label each function with a different color or style to differentiate between them.

2. What is the purpose of graphing a function V.S. another function?

Graphing a function V.S. another function allows you to visually compare the behaviors and relationships between the two functions. This can help in understanding how they are related and making predictions about their values.

3. What is the difference between a V.S. graph and a regular graph?

A V.S. (versus) graph shows the relationship between two functions on the same coordinate plane, while a regular graph typically shows the relationship between one variable and another. In a V.S. graph, both functions are plotted on the same axis, while in a regular graph, each variable has its own axis.

4. Can two functions intersect on a V.S. graph?

Yes, two functions can intersect on a V.S. graph. This means that there is a point where both functions have the same value. This point of intersection can provide valuable information about the behavior and relationship of the two functions.

5. How can you determine the domain and range of two functions on a V.S. graph?

To determine the domain and range of two functions on a V.S. graph, look at the x-values (domain) and y-values (range) where the functions intersect. These values will be included in the domain and range for both functions. If the functions do not intersect, the domain and range will be determined by the individual domains and ranges of each function.