Graphing power p(t) with voltage v(t) and current i(t) given?

In summary, the relationship between power, voltage, and current on a graph is that power is equal to the product of voltage and current. Power is typically represented on a graph as a line or curve with time on the x-axis and power on the y-axis. Graphing power is important for analyzing circuit behavior and understanding power usage. The shape of the power graph changes with different voltage and current values, with higher values resulting in a steeper incline. The area under the power graph represents total power consumption and can be calculated by finding the integral of the power function over a specific time interval.
elimenohpee
I'm having a little trouble relating the graphs of voltage, current, and power together. I am given graphs of v(t) and i(t) and I need to sketch p(t). I know p(t) is (v*i), so do I need to integrate the slopes of the values for v(t) and i(t) under a definite integral (to get the discrete values) or to find the area of the curves of the graph, then multiply them together under (v*i)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just multiply v and i. No integration, no derivatives, no calculus whatsoever.

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that power (p) is equal to voltage (v) multiplied by current (i). To sketch the graph of p(t), you can either integrate the slopes of the values for v(t) and i(t) under a definite integral, or find the area under the curves of the graphs and then multiply them together. Both methods will give you the same result.

To integrate the slopes, you can use the following formula:

p(t) = ∫v(t)*i(t) dt

Where ∫ represents the definite integral and dt represents the change in time. This will give you the discrete values of p at different points in time.

Alternatively, you can find the area under the curves of v(t) and i(t) and multiply them together to get the value of p at each point in time. This method is often used when the graphs are not continuous and have distinct data points.

Once you have calculated the values of p at each point in time, you can plot them on a graph to get the graph of p(t). This will show you how the power changes over time, based on the changing values of voltage and current.

In summary, to sketch the graph of p(t) using the given graphs of v(t) and i(t), you can either integrate the slopes or find the area under the curves and multiply them together. Both methods will give you the same result and show the relationship between voltage, current, and power over time.

1. What is the relationship between power, voltage, and current in a graph?

The power p(t) in a circuit is equal to the product of voltage v(t) and current i(t). This means that as voltage and current increase, power also increases, and vice versa.

2. How is power represented on a graph?

Power is typically represented on a graph as a line or curve, with time (t) on the x-axis and power (p) on the y-axis. This allows for easy visualization of how power changes over time in a circuit.

3. Why is it important to graph power in a circuit?

Graphing power allows us to analyze the behavior of a circuit and understand how much power is being used at different points in time. This can help with troubleshooting and improving the efficiency of a circuit.

4. How does the shape of the power graph change with different voltage and current values?

As voltage and current values change, the shape of the power graph will also change. For example, a higher voltage and current will result in a steeper incline on the power graph, while lower values will result in a gentler slope.

5. Can we determine the power consumption of a circuit by looking at the graph?

Yes, the area under the power graph represents the total power consumption of a circuit. This can be calculated by finding the integral of the power function over a specific time interval.