Gravitational Acceleration and Determining Height

In summary, the apple would have to be above the truck by 1.32 meters if it missed hitting the rear end.
ZdravkoBG

Homework Statement

A person standing on a bridge overlooking a highway inadvertently drops an apple over the railing just as the front end of a truck passes directly below the railing. If the vehicle is moving at 55km/h and is 12m long, how far above the truck must the railing be if the apple just misses hitting the rear end of the truck?

Homework Equations

The ones we have learned in class are the general dynamics formulas:
X = X0 + V0t + (1/2)a*t
V = V0 + at
V^2 = V0^2 + 2*a*X

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew myself a little diagram of what is happening to help clarify the problem. After that, I decided to use the distance finding formula since the question is asking about height.

X = X0 + V0t + (1/2)a*t

I set my initial distance (where the apple is dropped) to be 0. The velocity at that point in height is 0 (release). What is left is this:

X = (1/2)a*t

This is where I am getting confused, since there is acceleration of the apple (9.8m/s^2) and acceleration of the truck (horizontal). I also do not know what to use for the t (time) in the equation. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZdravkoBG said:
X = X0 + V0t + (1/2)a*t
That last term should be (1/2)a*t2.

This is where I am getting confused, since there is acceleration of the apple (9.8m/s^2) and acceleration of the truck (horizontal). I also do not know what to use for the t (time) in the equation.
Hint: Figure out the time it takes the truck (which is not accelerating) to pass under the bridge.

Thanks for the hint, I had not realized that the truck had no acceleration.

What I did now is I found how much time is needed for the truck to pass the bridge. I used the displacement formula:

X=X0+V0t+(1/2)*a*t^2

I substituted what I knew:

12=0+55t+(1/2)*0*t^2
t=0.27

I am confused by the units. What is 0.27? Hours?

After this, I substituted the found (t) into the displacement for the apple:

X=0+0+(1/2)*9.8*0.27
X=1.32

Again, I am unsure of the units. Any help with figuring those out?

since the truck is not accelerating we don't need to use the equation of motion.
s= ut+1/at^2

convert 55km/hr into m/s and find out the time for the truck to cross.

s=vxt

the time will be in sec and that is the time taken for the ball to reach the top of the truck.
Now use s= ut+1/at^2 where u=0 and t is the calculated time

ZdravkoBG said:
Thanks for the hint, I had not realized that the truck had no acceleration.

What I did now is I found how much time is needed for the truck to pass the bridge. I used the displacement formula:

X=X0+V0t+(1/2)*a*t^2
This is fine.

I substituted what I knew:

12=0+55t+(1/2)*0*t^2
t=0.27
Careful here. Use standard units: Distance measured in meters, time measured in seconds.

As ypudi stated, you must convert 55 km/hr to standard units of m/s.

Thanks guys, helped a bunch!

Related to Gravitational Acceleration and Determining Height

What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity on an object. It is a measure of the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth's surface, and has a value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration is calculated using the formula g = GM/r², where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object (usually the Earth), and r is the distance between the two objects.

What factors affect gravitational acceleration?

The factors that affect gravitational acceleration include the mass of the larger object, the distance between the two objects, and the gravitational constant. Other factors, such as air resistance and the rotation of the Earth, can also have a small impact on gravitational acceleration.

How is gravitational acceleration related to determining height?

Gravitational acceleration is related to determining height through the use of the formula h = 1/2gt², where h is the height, g is the gravitational acceleration, and t is the time it takes for an object to fall to the ground. By measuring the time it takes for an object to fall, we can calculate the height at which it was dropped.

Can gravitational acceleration be used to measure the height of objects on other planets?

Yes, gravitational acceleration can be used to measure the height of objects on other planets. However, the value of g will be different on other planets, as it is dependent on the mass and radius of the planet. Therefore, the formula for determining height on other planets will be different.