1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Law

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    An object is fired vertically upwards from the surface of a planetary body; it moves under the action of Newton’s Gravitational Law, without
    resistance, so the equation is z'' = -gR^2 / (z + R)^2 . Find the relation between v = z' and z and use this model, and the relation that you have
    found, to obtain a numerical estimate for the escape speed on the surface of the Earth.

What Ive done so far is transformed z'' to vz' using the chain rule.
    Next vz' = f(z)
    => 1/2*v^2 = int( f(z)dz + C )
    now solve v(z) = dz/dt
    => int (dt) = int(1/v(z)dz)
    So I got (gR^2)/(z+R) = (v^2)/2
    (2gR^2)/(z+R) = v^2

This is where I got and I dont know where to go next, I dont even know if it's right? Could someone attempt this for me please? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You arrived at the right expression, however you ignored the integration constant. How is z defined, is it the distance from the surface to the earth or from the center of the earth? Looking at your formula I would guess from the surface of the earth. This would give you a boundary condition v(0)=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook