How to Calculate Escape Speed Using Newton's Gravitational Law

In summary, the escape speed on the surface of the Earth can be estimated by using the relation between velocity and distance derived from Newton's Gravitational Law. By integrating this relation and taking into account a boundary condition, the equation (2gR^2)/(z+R) = v^2 can be used to obtain a numerical estimate for the escape speed.
mitch_nufc
An object is fired vertically upwards from the surface of a planetary body; it moves under the action of Newton’s Gravitational Law, without
resistance, so the equation is z'' = -gR^2 / (z + R)^2 . Find the relation between v = z' and z and use this model, and the relation that you have
found, to obtain a numerical estimate for the escape speed on the surface of the Earth.

What I've done so far is transformed z'' to vz' using the chain rule.
Next vz' = f(z)
=> 1/2*v^2 = int( f(z)dz + C )
now solve v(z) = dz/dt
=> int (dt) = int(1/v(z)dz)
So I got (gR^2)/(z+R) = (v^2)/2
(2gR^2)/(z+R) = v^2

This is where I got and I don't know where to go next, I don't even know if it's right? Could someone attempt this for me please? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You arrived at the right expression, however you ignored the integration constant. How is z defined, is it the distance from the surface to the Earth or from the center of the earth? Looking at your formula I would guess from the surface of the earth. This would give you a boundary condition v(0)=0.

1. What is the formula for calculating escape speed using Newton's gravitational law?

The formula for calculating escape speed is ve = √(2GM/R), where ve is the escape speed, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the larger body, and R is the distance from the center of the larger body to the object.

2. How is escape speed different from orbital speed?

Escape speed is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body and move away from it indefinitely. Orbital speed, on the other hand, is the speed required for an object to stay in a circular orbit around a larger body. Escape speed is greater than orbital speed.

3. What are the units for escape speed?

The units for escape speed are meters per second (m/s). This is the standard unit for measuring speed.

4. Can the escape speed of an object change?

Yes, the escape speed of an object can change depending on the mass and distance of the larger body it is escaping from. The escape speed will be higher for a larger and more massive body, and lower for a smaller and less massive body.

5. How is Newton's gravitational law related to escape speed?

Newton's law of gravitation states that the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is used in the formula for calculating escape speed, as the gravitational force between the object and the larger body is what determines the object's speed needed to escape from its gravitational pull.