Understanding Gravitational Pressure and Acceleration: Explained

In summary, the acceleration due to gravity can be simplified by considering only the mass below a person. The mass above also exerts a pull upwards, but the overall effect depends primarily on the mass "under" the person. This concept is explained by Gauss' law for gravitation, which states that the gravitational field at a point is equal to the mass enclosed by a sphere centered at that point divided by the square of the radius. This means that the gravitational force inside the Earth only depends on the mass below the person, so the deeper they are, the less acceleration they will experience. This concept may seem complex, but it is necessary to fully understand the theory behind it.
apchemstudent
In the attachment the answer is that there would be higher pressure and lower acceleration due to gravity. Again, please explain this concept to me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Gravitational problem 2.jpg
    Gravitational problem 2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration due to gravity can be simplified by only considering the mass below you. The mass above you pulls up on you. There's a bit more to it that than that, but I hope that's a good start.

The reason for the acceleration part has taken Newton 20 years to explain. So there is no simple explanation. It would have been cruel of your teacher to ask you this if you haven't seen the theory behind it.

In a nutshell, the theory is this...

Consider the gravitationnal field

[tex]\vec{g}(r) = \frac{\vec{F}_{grav}}{m}[/tex]

The statement of Gauss' law for gravitation is

[tex]\int_S \vec{g} \cdot d\vec{A} = -4\pi G M_{enclosed}[/tex]

Consider S to be a sphere centered on the Earth that has said mine on its surface. Due to symetry consideration, the integral becomes

[tex]\int_S \vec{g} \cdot d\vec{A} = g(4\pi r^2)[/tex]

So

[tex]g(4\pi r^2) = -4\pi G M_{enclosed} \Rightarrow g = \frac{-GM_{enclosed}}{r^2}[/tex]

That is to say, the grav. potential (and hense the force) at any location INSIDE the earth, is the same as the potential that would be created atthis point by a point-mass situated at the core of the Earth whose mass is that of the portion of the Earth enclosed by a centered sphere that has said location on its surface. (Excuse me, I lost me :grumpy:)

In other word, the gravitational force inside the Earth depends only on the mass "under" you. So the deeper the mine, the lesser the attraction.

hmm... i think i understand it a little more now. So if the person was in the bottom of a hole that was at half the radius of the Earth from the centre of the Earth, then the acceleration will only be GM(underneath)/(r/2)^2?

yeah.

-------------

1. What is a gravitational problem?

A gravitational problem is a physics problem that involves the effects of gravity on objects. It may involve calculating the force of gravity between two objects, determining an object's trajectory in a gravitational field, or analyzing the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.

2. How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. The strength of this force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. Additionally, the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational attraction.

3. What is the equation for calculating gravitational force?

The equation for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. How does the strength of gravity vary on different planets?

The strength of gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. Generally, the larger and more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. For example, the force of gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, while on Mars it is only about 3.7 m/s^2.

5. How do astronauts deal with the effects of gravity in space?

In space, astronauts experience microgravity, which is a very weak gravitational force. To counteract the effects of microgravity on their bodies, astronauts must exercise and maintain a healthy diet to prevent muscle and bone loss. They may also use special equipment to simulate gravity for certain activities, such as using a treadmill with resistance bands.