Gre 08 q97 Angular Momentum

In summary, the student attempted to solve a question but got a different answer, and is unsure of what is wrong with their solution. They used the parallel-axis theorem to calculate the rotational angular momentum at point P, but the answer does not match the given solution. After further analysis, it is determined that the parallel-axis theorem is not necessary in this case because the system was moving in a straight line before the collision. Thus, the correct answer is -0.5 MR^2 w0, which is equal to just the translational angular momentum.
pluspolaritons
Hi I attempted to solve this question but got a different answer, I don't know what's wrong with my solution.

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/wdmmo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At point P before collision, the angular momentum from the top disc has two components, rotational and translational.

For the translational L=rxp=-MRv_0=-0.5*M*R^2*w_0. This value is negative as I choose out of the page as my positive axis.

For the rotational part, I applied parallel-axis theorem, thus I=(0.5MR^2+MR^2)=1.5MR^2. And the angular momentum is L=1.5*M*R^2*w_0

Adding these two components up I obtain: 0.5*M*R^2*w_0. The answer does not have this choice. The given solution is (A).

If I do not apply parallel-axis theorem, I will get the correct answer. In fact in most solutions I looked up, they do not apply parallel-axis theorem, which I think is incorrect since the axis of rotation is not the center of mass of the top disc but rather at point P, so we have to apply parallel-axis theorem to shift the rotational angular momentum axis of rotation to point P. Can someone please help to see where I did wrong and why my argument is invalid?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer would be correct if the system was not moving in a straight line before the collision. The point P is not the center of mass of the disc, so you must use parallel axis theorem to get the rotational angular momentum. However, since the system was moving in a straight line before the collision, the translational velocity is equal to the rotational velocity and thus you do not need to use the parallel axis theorem. The total angular momentum in this case is equal to just the translational angular momentum and thus is equal to -0.5 MR^2 w0.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object, while the angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant, as long as no external torque (or twisting force) acts on the system. This means that if one part of the system gains angular momentum, another part must lose an equal amount of angular momentum.

4. How is angular momentum related to centripetal force?

Angular momentum and centripetal force are closely related, as they both involve the rotation of an object. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, and it is directly proportional to the object's angular velocity and the square of its distance from the center of rotation. This means that as angular momentum increases, so does centripetal force.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some real-life examples of angular momentum include the spinning of a top, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the rotation of a figure skater during a spin. It also plays a role in the stability of satellites and the motion of spinning objects such as gyroscopes.