Greens functions and density of states

In summary, the conversation discusses how the spectral function of a non-interacting system can be written as A(\nu, \omega) = 2\pi \delta(\omega-\varepsilon_\nu) and how this relates to the density of states. It is noted that the Greens functions do not depend on a chosen basis, but for a free particle, the greens function can be derived using 1/x=P(1/x)+2\pi i \delta (x). The conversation also mentions Mattuck's book "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem" which provides a useful explanation for this concept. Ultimately, the conversation seeks to further understand the statement that the spectral function holds true for all
Niles
Hi guys

I found this on Google Books: http://books.google.dk/books?id=v5v...resnum=5&ved=0CCwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Here they say that whenever we write the Hamiltonian for a non-interacting system in its eigenbasis, then we have that

[tex]
A(\nu, \omega) = 2\pi \delta(\omega-\varepsilon_\nu).
[/tex]

How can this statement be proven? Do you have any hints for this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, perhaps I should reformulate my question: I keep reading that the imaginary part of the retarded Greens function is the density of states, and I am quite sure it has got something to do with

[tex]

[/tex]

since if we sum over ν we get something proportional to the density of states on the RHS. SO I guess my question is: How do we show that in the eigenbasis of the Hamiltonian for a non-interacting system, the imaginary part of the Green's function is equal to the density of states?

I don't know where the eigenbasis should enter as the Greensfunctions do not depend on a basis. But for a free particle, the greens function is basically [tex] \sum (\omega - \epsilon_\nu)^{-1} [/tex]. Now using [tex] 1/x=P(1/x)+2\pi i \delta (x) [/tex] where P stands for taking the principal value, you should be able to derive your formula.

Niles said:
Hi guys

I found this on Google Books: http://books.google.dk/books?id=v5v...resnum=5&ved=0CCwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Here they say that whenever we write the Hamiltonian for a non-interacting system in its eigenbasis, then we have that

[tex]
[/tex]

How can this statement be proven? Do you have any hints for this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Niles.

You need to consider this as the spectral function of the single-particle propagator. To get the density of states, you sum up over all momentum. So you show that the result of the DOS matches the density of states for a free non-interacting electron gas.

Mattuck actually did this in his book "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem" for this very case. It is a Dover book, so it's cheap. It is also extremely useful.

Zz.

DrDu said:
I don't know where the eigenbasis should enter as the Greensfunctions do not depend on a basis. But for a free particle, the greens function is basically [tex] \sum (\omega - \epsilon_\nu)^{-1} [/tex]. Now using [tex] 1/x=P(1/x)+2\pi i \delta (x) [/tex] where P stands for taking the principal value, you should be able to derive your formula.

In my book the Greens functions in real-space and momentum-space look different; so how it is that they cannot depend on the chosen basis?

ZapperZ said:
You need to consider this as the spectral function of the single-particle propagator. To get the density of states, you sum up over all momentum. So you show that the result of the DOS matches the density of states for a free non-interacting electron gas.

The point is that in the book they only do it in momentum-space, and add as a side-note that "this in fact is true for all non-interacting fermions in any bases you like" - that is the statement I think needs more explanation.

1. What are Greens functions and why are they important in physics?

Greens functions are mathematical tools used to solve differential equations in physics. They describe the response of a system to an external stimulus and are important for understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as electronic or mechanical systems.

2. How do Greens functions relate to the density of states?

The density of states is a measure of the number of states per unit volume available to particles in a system. Greens functions can be used to calculate the density of states by taking the Fourier transform of the Greens function. This relationship is known as the density of states theorem.

3. How do Greens functions and density of states play a role in solid state physics?

In solid state physics, Greens functions and density of states are used to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystalline solid. The Greens function can be used to calculate the propagation of electrons through a material, while the density of states can provide information about the energy levels available to the electrons.

4. What is the difference between a single particle Greens function and a many-body Greens function?

A single particle Greens function describes the behavior of an individual particle in a system, while a many-body Greens function takes into account the interactions between multiple particles. Many-body Greens functions are more complex and require advanced mathematical techniques to calculate.

5. Are Greens functions and density of states only used in solid state physics?

No, Greens functions and density of states have applications in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and fluid dynamics. They can also be used in fields outside of physics, such as chemistry and engineering, to study the behavior of complex systems.