1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's theorem, relation between two integrals

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Calculate by a line integral the following double integral:
    ##\iint\limits_D (y^{2}e^{xy}-x^{2}e^{xy})dxdy##, D being the unit disk.

The attempt at a solution.

Well, if we consider C to be the curve that encloses the region D (C is the unit circle), then C is a simple, closed and smooth curve. Now, if we take ##F=(P(x,y),Q(x,y))##
    with ##P(x,y)=-ye^{xy}## and ##Q(x,y)=-xe^{xy}##, then P and Q are ##C^1## functions. We are under the hypothesis of Green's theorem, so we know that the integral

##\iint\limits_D (Q_x-P_y)dxdy## equals the integral ##\int\limits_C Fds## where C is the unit circle. If I parametrize this curve in the standard way, I get ##ψ(t)=(cos(t),sin(t))## and ##ψ'(t)=(-sin(t),cos(t))## so the integral of the right member is
    ##\int_0^{2π} (-sin(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)},-cos(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)})(-sin(t),cos(t))
    dt##, which is equal to ##\int_0^{2π} sin^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)}-cos^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)} dt##
    I am totally stuck with this integral, I could express it by ##\int_0^{2π}e{cos(t)sin(t)}-2cos^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)} dt## but I don't know how to solve it. Am I applying Green's theorem correctly or did I make a mistake in some previous step?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got a basic problem with your analysis and selection of the functions P and Q.

When you take your partial derivatives of P and Q and calculate (Qx - Py), you must obtain the original integrand of the double integral, namely (y^2EXP(xy) - x^2EXP(xy)). Have you checked this?

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use double angle formulas. Doesn't it sort of resemble cos(2t)e^(sin(2t))?

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4
    I see, P and Q were not the correct ones. I have to set ##P=xe^{xy}## and ##Q=ye^{xy}##. I spent like 15 minutes trying to find where my mistake was and I totally missed it.

6. Oct 4, 2013 #5
    The integral is 0, my problem was I hadn't chosen P and Q appropriately.

7. Oct 5, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you still have P and Q incorrect. When you differentiate, the leading term must come out squared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted