Green's theorem, relation between two integrals

In summary: Have you checked this?In summary, you need to use double angle formulas to solve this problem, and the resemblance to cos(2t)e^(sin(2t)) is a coincidence.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Calculate by a line integral the following double integral:
##\iint\limits_D (y^{2}e^{xy}-x^{2}e^{xy})dxdy##, D being the unit disk.

The attempt at a solution.

Well, if we consider C to be the curve that encloses the region D (C is the unit circle), then C is a simple, closed and smooth curve. Now, if we take ##F=(P(x,y),Q(x,y))##
with ##P(x,y)=-ye^{xy}## and ##Q(x,y)=-xe^{xy}##, then P and Q are ##C^1## functions. We are under the hypothesis of Green's theorem, so we know that the integral

##\iint\limits_D (Q_x-P_y)dxdy## equals the integral ##\int\limits_C Fds## where C is the unit circle. If I parametrize this curve in the standard way, I get ##ψ(t)=(cos(t),sin(t))## and ##ψ'(t)=(-sin(t),cos(t))## so the integral of the right member is
##\int_0^{2π} (-sin(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)},-cos(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)})(-sin(t),cos(t))
dt##, which is equal to ##\int_0^{2π} sin^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)}-cos^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)} dt##
I am totally stuck with this integral, I could express it by ##\int_0^{2π}e{cos(t)sin(t)}-2cos^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)} dt## but I don't know how to solve it. Am I applying Green's theorem correctly or did I make a mistake in some previous step?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got a basic problem with your analysis and selection of the functions P and Q.

When you take your partial derivatives of P and Q and calculate (Qx - Py), you must obtain the original integrand of the double integral, namely (y^2EXP(xy) - x^2EXP(xy)). Have you checked this?

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .
Calculate by a line integral the following double integral:
##\iint\limits_D (y^{2}e^{xy}-x^{2}e^{xy})dxdy##, D being the unit disk.

The attempt at a solution.

Well, if we consider C to be the curve that encloses the region D (C is the unit circle), then C is a simple, closed and smooth curve. Now, if we take ##F=(P(x,y),Q(x,y))##
with ##P(x,y)=-ye^{xy}## and ##Q(x,y)=-xe^{xy}##, then P and Q are ##C^1## functions. We are under the hypothesis of Green's theorem, so we know that the integral

##\iint\limits_D (Q_x-P_y)dxdy## equals the integral ##\int\limits_C Fds## where C is the unit circle. If I parametrize this curve in the standard way, I get ##ψ(t)=(cos(t),sin(t))## and ##ψ'(t)=(-sin(t),cos(t))## so the integral of the right member is
##\int_0^{2π} (-sin(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)},-cos(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)})(-sin(t),cos(t))
dt##, which is equal to ##\int_0^{2π} sin^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)}-cos^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)} dt##
I am totally stuck with this integral, I could express it by ##\int_0^{2π}e{cos(t)sin(t)}-2cos^{2}(t)e^{cos(t)sin(t)} dt## but I don't know how to solve it. Am I applying Green's theorem correctly or did I make a mistake in some previous step?

Use double angle formulas. Doesn't it sort of resemble cos(2t)e^(sin(2t))?

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
You've got a basic problem with your analysis and selection of the functions P and Q.

When you take your partial derivatives of P and Q and calculate (Qx - Py), you must obtain the original integrand of the double integral, namely (y^2EXP(xy) - x^2EXP(xy)). Have you checked this?

I see, P and Q were not the correct ones. I have to set ##P=xe^{xy}## and ##Q=ye^{xy}##. I spent like 15 minutes trying to find where my mistake was and I totally missed it.

Dick said:
Use double angle formulas. Doesn't it sort of resemble cos(2t)e^(sin(2t))?

The integral is 0, my problem was I hadn't chosen P and Q appropriately.

mahler1 said:
I see, P and Q were not the correct ones. I have to set ##P=xe^{xy}## and ##Q=ye^{xy}##. I spent like 15 minutes trying to find where my mistake was and I totally missed it.

I think you still have P and Q incorrect. When you differentiate, the leading term must come out squared.

1. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve in the plane to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is also known as the Green-Ostrogradsky theorem.

2. What is the relation between two integrals in Green's theorem?

The relation between two integrals in Green's theorem is that the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve is equal to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

3. What is the significance of Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is significant because it provides a method for evaluating line integrals by converting them into double integrals, which are often easier to solve. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can Green's theorem be applied to all types of curves?

No, Green's theorem can only be applied to simple closed curves, which are curves that do not intersect themselves and enclose a single, connected region in the plane.

5. How is Green's theorem related to Stokes' theorem?

Green's theorem is a special case of Stokes' theorem, which relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the surface enclosed by the curve. Green's theorem specifically applies to the two-dimensional case, while Stokes' theorem applies to the three-dimensional case.