1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of partcles in a magnetic field

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A group of particles is traveling in a magnetic field of unknown magnitude and direction. You observe that a proton moving at 1.60 km/s in the + x-direction experiences a force of 2.10×10−16 N in the + y-direction, and an electron moving at 4.30 km/s in the - z-direction experiences a force of 8.50×10−16 N in the +y-direction.

A) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field?

B) What is the direction of the magnetic field? (in the xz-plane) (from the -ve z direction)

C) What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on an electron moving in the - y-direction at 3.40 km/s?

D) What is the direction of this the magnetic force? (in the xz-plane) (from the -ve x direction)

2. Relevant equations

F=qvxB

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the above formula to no success

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You tried; okay, can you show us your attempt?

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    F=qvxB

F/q=vxB

F/q=1600i x B

F/q=-1600j + 1600k

(2.1x10-16/1.6*10-19)/1600 = B

Then used Pythagoras to calculate the magnitude of B

5. May 23, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where does this 2nd equation come from? You don't know what [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is; that's what you're supposed to calculate.

What you do know is that [tex]\mathbf{F}=q_{\text{proton}}(1600\text{km/s})\mathbf{i}\times \mathbf{B}=(-2.1\times 10^{-16}\text{N})\mathbf{j}[/tex] as well as a similar equation for the force that the electron experiences.

I'd suggest that you let [itex]\mathbf{B}=B_x\mathbf{i}+B_y\mathbf{j}+B_z\mathbf{k}[/itex] and carry out the cross product in both your equations and compare terms to solve for the components of [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook