Find Group Velocity: Solving for k=5.8x10^9 m-1

In summary, the group velocity can be calculated using the equation vg = 2pi/h (dE/dk), where dE/dk is equal to 5.0 x 10-28 k. After plugging in the given value of k, the group velocity is found to be 2.75 x 1016 m-1 s-1. However, there is confusion about the units, as they should be in m/s instead of 1/m-s. Further research suggests that angular frequency may be used instead of energy in the calculation.
magnifik
given: E(k) = 2.5 x 10-28 k2 Joules
k = 5.8 x 109 m-1

Find the group velocity.

i know that the equation for vg = 2pi/h (dE/dk)
dE/dk = 2(2.5 x 10-28) = 5.0 x 10-28 k
plugging in k, i get
dE/dk = 2.9 x 10-18 J/m
vg = 2.75 x 1016 m-1 s-1

what i am more concerned about here is the fact that my units should be m/s (or at least i think so), not 1/m-s. can anyone tell me why I'm getting the wrong units?

Physics news on Phys.org
morrobay said:

yes, however they use angular frequency as opposed to energy. it does confirm that the units should be in m/s though

1. What is group velocity?

Group velocity is a measure of the velocity at which a wave packet or group of waves propagates through a medium. It represents the speed at which the maximum amplitude of the wave packet moves.

2. How do you find group velocity?

To find the group velocity, you can solve for the wave number (k) using the given formula and then use the relationship between group velocity and wave number to calculate the group velocity.

3. What is the formula for finding group velocity?

The formula for finding group velocity is vg = dω/dk, where vg is the group velocity, ω is the angular frequency, and k is the wave number.

4. What is the significance of the value of k=5.8x10^9 m-1 in finding group velocity?

The value of k=5.8x10^9 m-1 represents the wave number of the wave packet, which is used to calculate the group velocity. This value is important because it determines the behavior of the wave packet and how it will propagate through a medium.

5. Can the group velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the group velocity cannot exceed the speed of light in a vacuum. However, in certain mediums, it is possible for the group velocity to exceed the phase velocity of light, which can lead to phenomena such as Cherenkov radiation.