Half-Life of He-6 Nucleus: 40 GeV

In summary, the question is asking for the half-life of a He-6 nucleus with a total energy of 40 GeV. The suggested approach is to use the equation E=mc^2 to find the mass of the He-6 nucleus. Then, using the concept of time dilation, the half-life can be calculated by multiplying the stationary half-life by the energy factor. In a separate question, the energy of a recoiling electron in a collision with an electron at rest is found to be 26 keV. The energy of the other electron is determined to be 80 keV and it is concluded that the bound electron is ionized because its energy is greater than the potential energy of the Tungsten ground state.
sawhai

Homework Statement

The question asks: "What is the half-life of a He-6 nucleus with total(kinetic+rest) energy E=40 GeV?"

How can we approach this problem?

Homework Equations

E=mc2 ;

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of getting the mass of the He-6 using M=E/c2 =>40GeV/931.5MeV = 4.25 amu = 7.05*10^-26 kg. I am not sure if this helps and what to do next.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sawhai! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

my guess is that you're supposed to find the speed, and then use time dilation to find the half-life (looking up the stationary half-life in a table)

Ok, I think I now understand. Here is what I did:

Gamma = E/mc^2 = 40GeV/6*931.5MeV = 7.15

t1/2 = t1/2 (Stationary)*gamma = 7.15*807ms

Does this sound ok?

looks ok! :smile:

Thanks. Now another question

An electron accelerated to 106 keV colides with another free electron and recoils. Its energy after the collision is 26 keV.
(a) What is the energy of the other electron that was initially at rest? I said E=106-26=80keV
(b)Assume the target electron is from the innermost shell of a Tungsten atom. Is the bound electron ionized in this collision? (the potential energy of the Tungsten ground state is 70keV). I said yes because 106keV is more than 70keV

Do you see any thing wrong with these answers?

Thanks

For b it is not because 106 is larger than 70, but because 80 is larger than 70.

Related to Half-Life of He-6 Nucleus: 40 GeV

1. What is the half-life of the He-6 nucleus at 40 GeV?

The half-life of the He-6 nucleus at 40 GeV is approximately 806 microseconds. This means that after 806 microseconds, half of the He-6 nuclei will have decayed into other particles.

2. How does the half-life of He-6 change at different energies?

The half-life of He-6 varies at different energies. At higher energies, the half-life decreases as the nucleus is more likely to undergo nuclear reactions and decay into other particles.

3. What is the significance of 40 GeV in relation to the half-life of He-6?

40 GeV is the energy at which the half-life of He-6 is measured. This energy is high enough to cause the He-6 nucleus to undergo nuclear reactions and decay, but not too high that the nucleus completely disintegrates.

4. How is the half-life of He-6 determined at 40 GeV?

The half-life of He-6 at 40 GeV is determined through experiments, where the He-6 nuclei are accelerated to 40 GeV and then observed for a certain amount of time. The number of nuclei that have decayed in this time period is used to calculate the half-life.

5. Can the half-life of He-6 at 40 GeV be changed?

The half-life of He-6 at 40 GeV is determined by the laws of nuclear physics and cannot be changed. However, it can vary depending on the conditions and energy at which the He-6 nuclei are observed.