Calculating Torque in a Hanging Rod System

In summary, the conversation is about a person studying for their Physics final and coming across a question they are unsure how to solve. They mention that they believe it is a torque-related question and ask for clarification on the concept. They eventually realize that the net torque in this scenario would equal zero due to the force and gravity balancing each other out at the center of mass.
Joosh
Hey, folks! So upon studying for my Physics final tomorrow, I came across this question on the practice exam, which I know the answer is D from the solution key. However, I'm not sure how to get that for the answer.

1. Homework Statement

iNmDGIX.jpg

Homework Equations

τ = rA × Fnet
LA = Ltrans, A + Lrot
Ltrans = rcm × Ptot
Lrot = r1 × p1 + r2 × p2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I personally don't entirely know where to start. I'm going to guess this is a torque-related question, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rod is at rest when the force F is applied. What can you say about what the sum of the torques about the hinge must be for bodies at rest? No need to get involved with momentum

The net torque would equal zero.

Joosh said:
The net torque would equal zero.
So what are the torques? What equation do you get for a zero sum?

Would it just be gravity and the force pushing the rod upwards?

I asked one of the graduate teaching assistants about this and he was able to help me figure this out. I simply forgot that the center of mass is where gravity is pulling down on the rod.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the amount of force applied to an object that causes it to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

2. How does torque affect a hanging rod?

The torque applied to a hanging rod depends on the weight of the object hanging from it and the distance between the hanging point and the axis of rotation. A larger torque will cause the rod to rotate more, while a smaller torque will cause less rotation.

3. How do you calculate the torque of a hanging rod?

The torque of a hanging rod can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the distance between the hanging point and the axis of rotation. This can also be expressed as T = r x F, where T is the torque, r is the distance, and F is the force (weight) applied.

4. What is the significance of torque in a hanging rod?

Torque is important in a hanging rod because it determines how much the rod will rotate when a weight is applied to it. A larger torque will cause the rod to rotate more, which can impact the stability of the hanging rod and the object attached to it.

5. How can torque be adjusted in a hanging rod?

The torque of a hanging rod can be adjusted by changing either the weight of the object hanging from it or the distance between the hanging point and the axis of rotation. Adding or removing weights, or adjusting the placement of the hanging point, can alter the torque and therefore the rotation of the rod.