Hard disk price will plummet very soon

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Hard
In summary: DVD is 4.7GB. HDD have been doubling in capacity every 2-3 years, which puts them on track to keep pace with DVD for some time.In summary, my friend who is working in Seagate told me that the plant is now rolling out high production of 200~400GB HDD. This will soon phase out the 40 and 80 GB HDD. This will result in a price drop in HDD. So wait a little bit and you will get higher capacity with cheaper price.
Saint
My friend who is working in Seagate told me, the plant is now rolling out high production of 200~400GB HDD.
The 40 and 80 GB HDD will phase out soon.
Therefore, we will soon see a price drop in HDD.
Wait a little bit and you will get higher capacity with cheaper price. :rofl:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Owww insider information. :biggrin:

Hard drives have long been the fastest advancing technology in computers. My parents' original IBM PC (circa 1984) had a 20MB hard drive that came as an extra. The current largest is about 200GB. That's about 14 doublings in 20 years.

300 GB HDD is available now, with SCSI or Serial ATA technology, faster transfer rate.

Who uses 400gb?

Well, I have 120GB of music right now, plus another 50GB of audio books, movies, and other things. I would love to have 400GB of storage, and I feel pretty confident that I could eventually use it all up.

- Warren

Ah, I remember the good old days when I had trouble filling up 2 gigs :)

Jake said:
Ah, I remember the good old days when I had trouble filling up 2 gigs :)
Ha! I remember when I was crazy over a 250 MB hard drive. :tongue:

I'm not as old-school as yall, but my first hard-drive was 120megs :) I remember when I ordered my 540meg and it was *huge*.

I'd love to see hard-drive prices fall dramatically......!

I've always been satisfied with my 36gb SCSI RAID array. If I need to store some multimedia files, I use some type of *cheaper* optical media.

I remember being happy with my 64K Commodore 64 with no hard disk as a kid...

I had a Vic 20 too, but didn't use it too much.

Y'all are noobs! They sold something called a Sider for the Apple II, a wopping 10Mb of HD, course this was '82. I could not begin to justiy spending about $700 for it. It wasn't till about '87 that I finally got a 286 with a 20MB HD.

enigma said:

Yea, but on the c64 all we needed was the good ol 1541 Disk drive, and my boxes of software. I had probably 1000 disks, 90% of them games.

phhhh. Disk Drives...

Remember the tape drive?

Load "Game 1"

*push play*

Ah. good times!

enigma said:
phhhh. Disk Drives...

Remember the tape drive?

Load "Game 1"

*push play*

Ah. good times!

Dont forget that if you had multiple programs on that tape you'd have to fast forward to the correct spot. Aww, I miss my Vic20. :frown:

Haha, just thought I'd add on this quote from The Simpsons:

Frink: Well, sure, the Frinkiac-7 looks impressive, don’t touch it, but I predict that within 100 years, computers will be twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them.
Apu: Could it be used for dating?
Frink: Well, theoretically, yes. But the computer matches would be so perfect as to eliminate the thrill of romantic conquest. Mw-hurgn-whey.

Ah, don't make puns at tape drives. They are invaluable backup devices. I use a DDS3 drive in my workstation to backup data every night.

I'm glad harddrive space is expanding fast. My 30gig drive seems absurdly small these days; I can barely put antyhing on it. Recently I kept running out of room and nearly fell out of my chair when I realized Unreal Tournament 2004 took up almost 9 gigs alone.

graphic7 said:
Ah, don't make puns at tape drives. They are invaluable backup devices. I use a DDS3 drive in my workstation to backup data every night.

Why don't you use an external harddisk for backup purposes? :confused:

I acquired a DDS3 drive for free a few years ago along with a few tapes. DDS3 tapes typically hold 4GB of data uncompressed and 10GB of data compressed. That's not too bad to be free. Plus, a tape drive is an impressive piece of equipment to have in a workstation. Unices typically sport some excellent tape backup tools such as tar, cpio, and mt that I'm rather fond of.

The workstation I use the tape drive on is my SGI workstation, which does not have USB. External SCSI hard drives are rather expensive, even for storage of 10GB of data.

Do you think DVD with super high capacity will replace HDD one day?

Marijn said:
Why don't you use an external harddisk for backup purposes? :confused:
Reliability: A tape has no moving parts or electronics. Capacity: you can back up to a new tape every day if you want and archive terrabytes worth of data.

Most home users don't use them - most businesses do.
Do you think DVD with super high capacity will replace HDD one day?
No, they are entirely different animals. First off, optical drives don't and can't (until holographic memory) have anywhere near as much capacity as hard drives. Second, optical drives are slow. Third, optical drives are removable.

Last edited:
Tapes, especially DDS tapes, aren't realiable as I'd like them to be, Russ. I typically use a type for about 75-150 writes and after that, the quality starts degrading. Usually, I'll retention the tapes every write after 75 writes, but that doesn't help much. I wish I did have a DDS4 drive. That's 20GB of compressed data for pennies compared to hard drives or DVD media.

Most people don't like tapes - they aren't block devices. That means you can't put a filesystem on them. You have to use "interesting" utilities like tar or cpio if you're running Unix or their Microsoft equivalents to write or read from the tapes.

I plan to buy a 80GB HDD next month.
In malaysia, ATA100 HDD is still the most popular one.

My 120 gb harddrive total capacity is enough for me. And i have several movies, gb's of music, and many mb's of images. I don't see the need for 400 gb, other than central network nodes.

lol 250 gig is nothing

editiing movies takes up space like nothing else

btw
I saw a 3 terabyte harddrive for 30,000 dollars in popular science. I did a quick google but couldn't find it but i did see for sure
1.6 terabyte hard drives.

Jeez, no kidding. Digital video editing, full frame and uncompressed takes up so much space. My old high schools had pretty good DPS Velocity systems. I think the storage unit on it totalled over a terabyte. Even with that amount of space and only a few students using it for fairly short videos, it needed to get cleaned out every other month.

lol also besides those super hard drives
i just found one standard in a dell mag
that was 500 gig

is SATA much faster than ATA HDD?

I plan on buying a 160 gig hard drive in January. And a dvd burner. I just got high speed internet today and only have a 16 gig hard drive. It is 75 percent full, and I think that I will fill it very fast now that I have high speed. I would buy it right now, but I am trying to save my money to buy my mom a used bose stereo.

enigma said:

I had a Vic 20 too, but didn't use it too much.

My best friend had a vic 20.. came with a tape recorder and lightning turbo 300 baud modem- yowza!

I also used to play moon patrol on my friend's commadore 64.. I rocked that game.. heheh

Learning Curve said:
Who uses 400gb?

That's what's always been said though.

The size of programs and documents etc. will catch up soon enough. In time we'll refer to 400 GB like the guy who's talking about his parents' 20 MB HD.

I will never forget [probably] the time I was browsing around in a computer store. A salesman was showing this lady hard drives. He pointed out one and said, "This is the one I recommend. You will never fill it up, it's a full gig."

Saint said:
My friend who is working in Seagate told me, the plant is now rolling out high production of 200~400GB HDD.
The 40 and 80 GB HDD will phase out soon.
Therefore, we will soon see a price drop in HDD.
Wait a little bit and you will get higher capacity with cheaper price. :rofl:
I wish you had told me before I got my last HDD
120GB 8MB ATA-133 Seagate