1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic motion with damping

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of mass 0.2kg is hung from a spring whose spring constant is 80N/m. The object is subject to a resistive force given by -bv, where v is it's velocity in meters per second.

If the damped frequency is √(3)/2 of the undamped frequency, what is the value of b?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    ω=√k/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to write the sum of the forces of the system and got ∑F=-kx-bv=ma
    I rewrote it as -kx=b(dx/dt)+m(d^2x/dt^2)

Now I don't have much experience with differential equations but I know the solution is x(t)=Ae^(γt)cos(ωt) where γ=(-b/2m). I also know that the damped frequency is (√(3)/2)√k/m given from the problem. I not sure where to go from here. I am supposed to use the solution and solve for b? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the value of ω in terms of k, m and/or b? You know γ(b,k,m) but you don't know ω(b,k,m)?

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3
    So ω in terms of k,m, and b would be √((ω^2)-(γ^2)) right?

5. Nov 14, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Going back to your 1st post, you are mixing up two ω's. One is the natural frequency ωn = √(k/m). the other is the damped frequency which is ωd. The ω in your cos argument should be the latter. The idea is that ωd < ωn as your problem statement gives. Don't use ω again, use the two above.
    Having said that, to answer your question
    is correct IF you use the right omegas. You can't say x = x + a, a ≠ 0, can you?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. Nov 15, 2015 #5
    Yeah I agree with that. I seem to be getting the 2 omega's confused with each other. So my solution should actually be expressed as x(t)=Ae^(γt)cos(ωdt), where ωd refers to the damped frequency. Sorry for making it look messy but I wasn't sure how to write the subscript d. Plugging in √((ω^2)-(γ^2)) for ω damping I can solve for my value of b. Is that the right idea?

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. You're still using ω instead of wd or ωn. Don't.
    2 . Picking the correct omegas, rewrite your equation; this time make it a real equation with an = sign and everything.
    3. It's easy to make subscripts or superscripts. See the "x2" and the "x2" on the toolbar where you got your ω?

8. Nov 19, 2015 #7
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes I found it, thanks for pointing that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted