Frequency of Harmonic Oscillators on Earth and the Moon

In summary, two different simple harmonic oscillators with the same natural frequency (f=3.40 Hz) on Earth have a different frequency when moved to the surface of the moon (g=1.67 m/s^2). The pendulum's frequency is affected by gravity, while the vertical spring and mass's frequency remains the same. The correct frequency for the pendulum on the moon is 1.40 Hz.
Naldo6
Two different simple harmonic oscillators have the same natural frequency (f=3.40 Hz) when they are on the surface of the Earth. The first oscillator is a pendulum, the second is a vertical spring and mass. If both systems are moved to the surface of the moon (g=1.67 m/s^2, what is the new frequency of the pendulum? Calculate the new frequency of the vertical spring and mass.

Any idea on the problem... i don't have the minimum idea to solve it...

Physics news on Phys.org

So find out how gravity affects frequency, and compare the Earth's gravity (appx. 9.78m/s^2) to the moon's (1.67m/s^2).
Oh, and you'll also need to know how an oscillator and a vertical spring and mass work, respectively.

Oh.. didn't see the "simple harmonic" part.. well thanks for replying as well Bright Wang, you seem to be more help than me :P

w=2*pi*f

but w=sqrt(k/m) and k=(mg)/x_displacement

so f=sqrt(g/x_disp)*[1/(2*pi)]

and x_disp= ( g / [(f)*(2*pi)]^2 )
x_disp= (9.8/ [(3.40)*(2*pi)]^2)
= 2.15x10^-2

if i use now the gravity of the moon it is

f = sqrt(g/x_disp)*[1/(2*pi)]
= sqrt(1.67/2.15X10^-2)*[1/(2*pi)]
= 1.40

and this is the wrong answer for frequency of the vertical sring and mass...

can anyone help me...

the frequncy 1.40 Hz is the answer for the pendulum but in my calculus it is sopose to be the same for both sistems and that is wrong... any suggestion ...

1) for the pendulum f=(1/(2pi))[g/L]^1/2 so f~(g)^1/2, and I got 1.40 Hz

2) for the spring T=1/f=2(pi)[M/k]^1/2 , so its independent?

ok but if i calculate the frquency for the spring it is the same... and that is not the correct answer...

what is the correct answer?

ok i understand the gravity just affect the pendulum not the spring... ty

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits a repetitive or oscillatory motion about a fixed equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point and a natural frequency of oscillation.

2. How do you solve a harmonic oscillator problem?

To solve a harmonic oscillator problem, you need to first determine the equation of motion for the system. This can be done by using the principles of Newton's laws and the restoring force of the oscillator. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as differential equations or trigonometric functions to solve for the motion of the oscillator over time.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a harmonic oscillator?

The frequency of a harmonic oscillator is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring or restoring force, and the initial displacement or amplitude of the oscillation. A change in any of these factors can result in a change in the frequency of the oscillator.

4. Can a harmonic oscillator have more than one frequency?

No, a harmonic oscillator can only have one natural frequency of oscillation. This is because the motion of the oscillator is governed by a single restoring force and is dependent on the mass and stiffness of the system. However, the oscillator may exhibit multiple frequencies if it is a forced oscillator being driven by an external force.

5. How are harmonic oscillators used in real-life applications?

Harmonic oscillators have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are used in devices such as pendulums, clocks, musical instruments, and shock absorbers. They are also used in scientific research to model and study various phenomena, such as the motion of atoms and molecules, and the behavior of electrical circuits.