Having trouble with a few problems

• Thread starter ToddS
  • Start date
In summary, a student is seeking help with a homework problem involving two blocks connected by a rope being dragged by a force. They have attempted different calculations and equations, but have not been able to get the correct answer of tension = 27.2N and acceleration = 1.29m/s^2. They are asking for assistance in identifying where they may have gone wrong.
ToddS
Hello all,

I've tried to do a few problems from an extensive list of homework problems we were assigned, but I am stuck on them.. I will show you how far I got, if anyone can see where I went wrong please reply.. thanks.

51. Two blocks connected by a rope of negligible mass are being dragged by a horizontal force F. Suppose that F = 68N, mass1 = 12kg, and mass2 = 18kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.100. (b) Determine the tension T and the magnitude of the acceleration of the system

First, I created two separate free body diagrams.. and I calculated the weight of each mass. Then I attempted to use the equation Acc = F (force to acc system) / total mass .. however, this gives an incorrect result. The correct answers are tension = 27.2N and acc = 1.29m/s^2.

I have tried re-arranging amongst other things, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone see where I might have gone wrong? Thanks.

Todd

Physics news on Phys.org
Acc = F (force to acc system) / total mass
This will work provided you use the net force . However I think it will be a lot clearer if you use write separate equations for each mass and combine those equations to solve for the acceleration. Since you aren't getting the correct answer your F must be the wrong value.

F was given, I guess my mass equations are incorrect. Can you give me an idea of how I would determine them? Would you use g? u?

The force of friction which opposes the applied force is
[tex] \mu m g [/tex]

so.. how does this look?

F = ma
Fu = ma
uN = ma
umg = ma

?

Skomatth, do you have AIM?

I have msn.

Anyway look at the system as a whole. The applied force is causing it to speed up, while the force of friction is causing it to slow down. Find the difference between these forces and you have the net force.

1. Why am I having trouble with these specific problems?

There could be several reasons for having trouble with specific problems. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, not having enough practice, or not paying attention to the details of the problem. It is important to identify the root cause of the difficulty in order to find an effective solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved by practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable ones, and trying different approaches to solve a problem. It is also important to have a positive attitude and not get discouraged by mistakes or challenges.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to identify where you are getting stuck. It could be helpful to review the related concepts or ask a friend or teacher for help. You can also try solving similar problems to gain a better understanding of the concept.

4. Is it normal to struggle with a few problems?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with a few problems. Problem-solving is a skill that takes time and practice to develop. It is important to remember that mistakes and challenges are a part of the learning process and should not discourage you from trying again.

5. How can I stay motivated while working on difficult problems?

One way to stay motivated is to set small achievable goals and celebrate when you reach them. It is also helpful to take regular breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and refocus. Working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also provide motivation and support.