HCN + HF Reaction & Acid-Base Indicator Characteristics

• Thread starter BayernBlues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of HCN + HF and the characteristics of an acid-base indicator. The proposed reaction is HCN + HF --> HCF3 + NH3, but it is uncertain if there is a reaction due to the potential for hydrogen bonding and deprotonation. One good characteristic of an acid-base indicator is an intense color change.
BayernBlues
Hcn + Hf --> ?

Homework Statement

-What do HCN + HF form? (I've googled the reaction, can't find anything).
-Also, what're 3 good characteristics of an acid-base indicator?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it's an acid-base reaction. I'm guessin something like
HCN + HF --> NH3 + CF

-One good characteristic of an acid base indicator would be an intense colour change?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HCN has localized electrons available on the nitrogen and the proton (on carbon) is fairly acidic. This suggests that it should hydrogen bond fairly easily... but is the hydrogen in HF that available for hydrogen bonding?
Fluorine has a strong affinity for hydrogen... but is it strong enough to deprotonate the hydrocyanic acid?

so I'm guessing then that there isn't a reaction? because judging from what you said, the only thing I can think of is:

HCN + HF ------> HCF3 + NH3

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between HCN and HF?

The chemical equation for the reaction between HCN and HF is HCN + HF → H2CNF. This reaction produces hydrogen cyanide fluoride, a strong acid.

2. What is the nature of the HCN + HF reaction?

The HCN + HF reaction is a neutralization reaction, where an acid (HF) and a base (HCN) react to form a salt (H2CNF) and water.

3. How does the HCN + HF reaction affect the pH level of a solution?

The HCN + HF reaction is highly exothermic and produces a strong acid (H2CNF), which lowers the pH level of a solution. This makes the solution more acidic.

4. Can HCN and HF be used as an acid-base indicator?

Yes, HCN and HF can be used as an acid-base indicator because they have different colors in their protonated and deprotonated forms. HCN is colorless in its protonated form and yellow in its deprotonated form, while HF is colorless in its protonated form and purple in its deprotonated form.

5. What are the characteristics of HCN and HF as acid-base indicators?

HCN and HF are both weak acids and can only be used as indicators in a limited pH range. They have different color changes at different pH levels, making them useful for differentiating between acidic and basic solutions. In addition, their protonated and deprotonated forms have distinct colors, making them easy to observe in a solution.