Heart rate and touch-sensitive sensor help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a heart rate sensor that is bluetooth enabled and can be monitored through a phone or computer. The individual is a beginner and is seeking advice on where to start and what hardware and software to use. They also mention wanting to incorporate a touch sensitive sensor that will trigger an alarm if not activated. A potential solution is proposed using an instructable guide.
hassankelly
Question Details
Ok, so want to get a heart rate sensor, take it apart, and adapt it to make it bluetooth enabled so i can see the heart rate on a phone/computer. Where should I start? What hardware and software should I use? I'm really a beginner and have no idea where to start lol.

Also, I want to make it so that if both the heart rate and touch sensitive sensors are touched, everything is fine (the circuit is complete?) but if the touch sensitive sensor isn't being touched, that sets off a sort of alarm (on the phone/computer, through Bluetooth). I know this is a big question, but if anyone could please help? Where should I start?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Heart rate and touch-sensitive sensor help?

What is a heart rate sensor and how does it work?

A heart rate sensor is a device that measures the number of times a person's heart beats per minute. It uses a combination of light and sensors to detect the changes in blood volume in the capillaries beneath the skin. These changes are then converted into heart rate measurements.

What is the importance of monitoring heart rate?

Monitoring heart rate can provide valuable information about a person's overall health and fitness. It can indicate if a person is exercising at an appropriate intensity, if there are any underlying health issues, and can also help track progress in fitness goals.

How does a touch-sensitive sensor help with heart rate monitoring?

A touch-sensitive sensor can be used to detect the pulse in a person's fingertip. By placing a finger on the sensor, it can measure the changes in blood volume and calculate heart rate. This eliminates the need for a separate heart rate monitor and makes it easier to track heart rate during physical activity.

What are the benefits of using a touch-sensitive sensor for heart rate monitoring?

Some benefits of using a touch-sensitive sensor for heart rate monitoring include convenience, accuracy, and cost-effectiveness. The sensor is easily accessible and can be incorporated into various devices, such as fitness trackers and smartwatches. It also provides real-time and accurate heart rate measurements without the need for additional equipment. Additionally, touch-sensitive sensors are relatively inexpensive compared to other heart rate monitoring devices.

Are there any limitations to using a touch-sensitive sensor for heart rate monitoring?

While touch-sensitive sensors can provide accurate heart rate measurements, they may not be suitable for all individuals. People with certain skin conditions, such as calluses or scars, may have difficulty getting accurate readings. Additionally, the sensor may not work well in extreme temperatures or on individuals with poor circulation. In these cases, an alternative heart rate monitoring method may be necessary.