What is the temperature at the wire/insulator interface?

Would we not lose generality?In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical wire with a current and resistance, insulated with a material with a certain thermal conductivity and exposed to air with a convective heat transfer. Using the heat equation with Fourier's law, the heat flux can be determined at the wire/insulator interface. The rate of heat generated per unit length of wire is represented by Q, which is equal to ##π\Omega I^2r_i^2##. The radial heat flux at the surface of the wire is Q/(2πr0), and at any other radial location it is Q/(2πr). The air temperature must be known in order to solve for the temperature at the wire/insulator interface
member 428835

Homework Statement

A cylindrical wire with radius ##r_i## carries a current ##I \frac{A}{cm^2}## with a resistance of ##\Omega \: ohms\times cm##. It is insulated with a material with radius ##r_o## whose thermal conductivity is ##k \frac{W}{cm \times K}##. The insulator is exposed to air that convects heat at ##h \frac{W}{cm^2 \times K}##. Find the temperature at the wire\insulator interface.

Homework Equations

Heat equation with fourier's law using constant thermal conductivity and steady state conditions: $$k\nabla ^2 T = \dot{g}$$
where ##\dot{g}## is the heat generation term.

The Attempt at a Solution

I will use cylindrical coordinates. i first want to conduct a relationship with the temperature passing through the insulator. Thus, i think the first thing I can do is state that: $$k \nabla ^2 T_1 = AI^2$$ where my units are ##\frac{W}{cm^3}##. I do need boundary conditions, however. I should state, before proceeding, that I assume heat only transfers radially. now, to work on those boundary conditions, isn't the following relationship among heat fluxes true: $$\underbrace{AI^2 \times r_i}_{\text{heat flux from generation term at r=r_i}} = \underbrace{-k \nabla T_1}_{\text{heat flux from conductive term at } r=r_i}$$ and $$ \underbrace{-k\nabla T_2}_{\text{heat flux from conductive term at } r=r_o} = \underbrace{h(T_{r_o}-T_{air})}_{\text{heat flux of convective term at }r=r_o}$$
although I do not know ##T_{air}##. ##T_1## and ##T_2## are the heat profiles throughout the copper wire and then the insulator respectively.

Now, solving ##k \nabla^2 T_1 = AI^2## to solve yields: $$T_1(r) = \frac{kAI^2 r^2}{4} + C_1 \ln r + C_2$$
and $$\nabla T_1 = \frac{kAI^2r}{2} + \frac{C_1}{r}$$
It seems now we can solve for ##C_1## using the first boundary condition.
Assuming we find ##C_1## (this is easy enough) i really don't know how to proceed? can someone please help?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done some very nice thinking about this problem. But the problem is simpler than that.

Let Q represent the rate of heat generated in the wire per unit length of the wire. The same heat flow rate has to pass through each and every radial cross section (since it has no where else to go). So, the heat flux at any radial location in the insulation is given by:

[tex]\frac{Q}{2πr}=-k\frac{dT}{dr}[/tex]

You can integrate this over the insulator from r = ri to r = ro, where the temperatures are Ti and To respectively. Also, at r = ro you have

[tex]\frac{Q}{2πr_o}=-k(\frac{dT}{dr})_{r_o}=h(T_o-T_{air})[/tex]

This should give you enough to solve for Ti.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You've done some very nice thinking about this problem.
thanks!

Chestermiller said:
Let Q represent the rate of heat generated in the wire per unit length of the wire. The same heat flow rate has to pass through each and every radial cross section (since it has no where else to go). So, the heat flux at any radial location in the insulation is given by:

[tex]\frac{Q}{2πr}=-k\frac{dT}{dr}[/tex]
i'm not sure we are given a generation per unit length, Q? i think the generation, if we take ##\Omega I^2##, gives us watts per cubic centimeter. shouldn't we multiply this by ##r##, which would give us the heat flux passing through the ##z \times \theta## surface?

if not, can you help me understand geometrically why we divide Q by ##2 \pi r## (and how we get Q such that its units are Watts per unit length)?

Chestermiller said:
You can integrate this over the insulator from r = ri to r = ro, where the temperatures are Ti and To respectively. Also, at r = ro you have

[tex]\frac{Q}{2πr_o}=-k(\frac{dT}{dr})_{r_o}=h(T_o-T_{air})[/tex]

This should give you enough to solve for Ti.

Chet
since we don't know ##T_{air}## do we even need to worry about the convective term?

thanks a ton for your help. please let me know what you think!

joshmccraney said:
i'm not sure we are given a generation per unit length, Q? i think the generation, if we take ##\Omega I^2##, gives us watts per cubic centimeter. shouldn't we multiply this by ##r##, which would give us the heat flux passing through the ##z \times \theta## surface? if not, can you help me understand geometrically why we divide Q by ##2 \pi r## (and how we get Q such that its units are Watts per unit length)?

Well, to me, the units they give for I and ##\Omega## are problematic. But, in any case, if ##\Omega I^2## represents the energy generation per unit volume of wire, if we multiply by πri2, we get the rate of heat generated per unit length of wire. That's Q: Q = ##π\Omega I^2r_i^2## So the radial heat flux at the surface r = r0 is Q/(2πr0). At any other radial location, the radial heat flux is Q/(2πr). That is, the heat flow per unit length Q has to pass through every cylindrical section of wire.
since we don't know ##T_{air}## do we even need to worry about the convective term?
Yes. you can't get the temperature at r0 unless you know the air temperature. They expect you to specify the air temperature symbolically as Tair.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Well, to me, the units they give for I and ##\Omega## are problematic. But, in any case, if ##\Omega I^2## represents the energy generation per unit volume of wire, if we multiply by πri2, we get the rate of heat generated per unit length of wire. That's Q: Q = ##π\Omega I^2r_i^2## So the radial heat flux at the surface r = r0 is Q/(2πr0). At any other radial location, the radial heat flux is Q/(2πr). That is, the heat flow per unit length Q has to pass through every cylindrical section of wire.

Chet

Thanks! Also, why are we multiplying by ##2 \pi r_i ^2## instead of a general ##2 \pi r^2##?

joshmccraney said:
Thanks! Also, why are we multiplying by ##2 \pi r_i ^2## instead of a general ##2 \pi r^2##?

To obtain the equation Q = ##π\Omega I^2r_i^2##, I've multiplied the uniform heat generation rate per unit volume within the wire by ##πr_i^2## (the cross sectional area of the wire); this gives the generation rate per unit length of the wire Q. Another way of getting this is as follows: Over the entire wire, the heat generation rate is ##π\Omega I^2r_i^2L## , where πri2L is the volume of the wire. If we divide this by the length of the wire, we get Q = ##π\Omega I^2r_i^2##, which is the heat generation rate per unit length.

The radial heat flux (radial heat transfer rate per unit area) at inside surface of the insulation r = ri is Q/(2πri); the radial heat flux at the outside surface of the insulation is Q/(2πro); the radial heat flux at any arbitrary radial location r within the insulation is Q/(2πr).

Chet

Likes 1 person
Excellent! thanks for the thorough explanation of the physical situation! it seems odd we did not even need to use the heat equation i initially proposed. in fact, using it only offers the unknown constant ##C_1## (in the first derivative), so it seems not only do we not need it, but it can't even help with anything, right?

also, would the temperature throughout the wire be constant (since it generates heat constantly) or would it be hottest in the middle? to really find this out, we would have to solve the heat equation so we would have the temperature profile, right (which we can NOW do because we have ##T(r_i) = T_i## and ##T(r_o) = T_o## which are both known)?

joshmccraney said:
Excellent! thanks for the thorough explanation of the physical situation! it seems odd we did not even need to use the heat equation i initially proposed. in fact, using it only offers the unknown constant ##C_1## (in the first derivative), so it seems not only do we not need it, but it can't even help with anything, right?

For the insulation, your equation ##k\nabla ^2 T = \dot{g}## becomes ##k\nabla ^2 T = \frac{k}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{dT}{dr})=0##. If we integrate this equation, we obtain:
[tex]-k\frac{dT}{dr}=\frac{C}{r}[/tex]

From the boundary conditions, we get C = Q/2π. So, your original equation does apply.

also, would the temperature throughout the wire be constant (since it generates heat constantly) or would it be hottest in the middle?
No. It would be highest in the middle.

to really find this out, we would have to solve the heat equation so we would have the temperature profile, right (which we can NOW do because we have ##T(r_i) = T_i## and ##T(r_o) = T_o## which are both known)?
Yes.

Thanks! You're the man (or woman) :)

What is heat conduction?

Heat conduction is the transfer of heat energy through a material or between materials that are in direct contact with each other. This process occurs due to the random movement of molecules within a substance, and it continues until a state of thermal equilibrium is reached.

What factors affect heat conduction?

The rate of heat conduction is affected by several factors, including the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the two objects, the distance between the objects, and the surface area of contact.

How is heat conduction calculated?

The rate of heat conduction can be calculated using the Fourier's Law formula: Q = -kA(dT/dx), where Q is the rate of heat transfer, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the cross-sectional area, and (dT/dx) is the temperature gradient.

What are some real-life applications of heat conduction?

Heat conduction is a fundamental process that is involved in many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and electronic devices. It is also essential in industrial processes, such as metalworking, glassmaking, and food processing.

How is heat conduction different from convection and radiation?

Heat conduction is the transfer of heat energy through a material, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Unlike convection and radiation, heat conduction requires direct contact between objects.