Heat Transfer Between Reservoirs due to Magnetic Fields

In summary, the problem involves a system of N pairs of spin 1/2 particles with magnetic moment \mu, initially in thermal equilibrium with a reservoir at temperature T_{i} and immersed in a uniform magnetic field H_{i}. After the magnetic field is increased to H_{f}, the system is isolated from the reservoir and the field returns adiabatically to H_{i}. It is then brought into thermal equilibrium with a second reservoir at temperature T_{f}. The questions are (A) the work done on the system by the magnetic field, and (B) the heat transferred between the two reservoirs. The relevant equations are U_{total}=N \mu H and \delta U = Q + W. (A
SonOfOle

Homework Statement

A system consists of N pairs of non-interacting, spin 1/2 particles with magnetic moment [tex]\mu[/tex]. It is initially immersed in a uniform magnetic field [tex]H_{i}[/tex] while it is in thermal equilibrium with a reservoir at temperature [tex]T_{i}[/tex]. While remaining in thermal equilibrium with the reservoir, the magnetic field increased to a value of [tex]H_{f}[/tex]. At this point the system is isolated from the reservoir and the magnetic field returns adiabatically to [tex]H_{i}[/tex]. The system is then brought into thermal equilibrium with a second reservoir at temperature [tex]T_{f}[/tex].

(A) How much work is done on the system by the magnetic field?

(B) How much heat is transferred between the two reservoirs?

Homework Equations

[tex] U_{total}=N \mu H [/tex]
[tex] \delta U = Q + W [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) Magnetic fields can't do work, so [tex]W=0[/tex].
(B) Recall relevant equations, so [tex] N \mu H = Q[/tex].

This seems like it, but I don't think it is. The temperature doesn't play a role. Does it mean the additional heat transferred to the solution in (B) is the change in energy due to temperature (e.g. [tex] \delta U = n R \delta T [/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic fields can't do work
Is one sure about that. If magnetic field flips a magnetic dipole or attracts a metal (e.g. ferromagnetic) object, what is doing the work?

Are all the magnetic moments aligned initially?

How does the magnitudes of the applied magnetic fields compare with the field strength of the magnetic dipole?

Hey Astronuc, thanks for the reply. To honestly reply to your questions, I'm not sure. This is a problem I ran into as I'm reviewing past qualification exams in preparation for my upcoming one in August.

My E&M class was weak in the "M", and so I'm wondering if you--or anyone--could point me in the right direction. I've got Griffiths Intro to Electrodynamics, so even referring to places in there to read would help.

Thanks in advance.

1. What is heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields?

Heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields refers to the transfer of thermal energy from one reservoir to another through the influence of a magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as magnetocaloric effect and is based on the principle that the temperature of a material can be changed by applying or removing a magnetic field.

2. How does heat transfer occur between reservoirs due to magnetic fields?

The process of heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields involves the movement of magnetic dipoles in a material. When a magnetic field is applied, the dipoles align and produce an increase in temperature, known as adiabatic heating. When the magnetic field is removed, the dipoles return to their original state, resulting in a decrease in temperature, known as adiabatic cooling.

3. What are the applications of heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields?

The magnetocaloric effect has potential applications in various fields, including refrigeration and cooling systems, heat pumps, and magnetic storage devices. It is also being studied for its potential use in renewable energy technologies, such as solar power and geothermal energy systems.

4. What are the factors that affect heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields?

The rate of heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the type of material being used, and the temperature difference between the two reservoirs. The properties of the magnetic material, such as its magnetic susceptibility and Curie temperature, also play a role in the efficiency of heat transfer.

5. How is heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields measured?

The efficiency of heat transfer between reservoirs due to magnetic fields is typically measured by the magnetic entropy change (ΔS), which is the change in entropy of a material when a magnetic field is applied or removed. The greater the ΔS value, the more efficient the heat transfer process is. Other methods of measurement include temperature changes and specific heat capacity of the material.