Heat Transfer Coefficient -Air Flow onto perpendicular plane

In summary, Nidum provided a description of a situation where he needs to evaluate the heat transfer coefficient of a horizontal surface. He cannot find anywhere to find examples of this so he turns to the community for help. He is directed to look into impingement heat transfer and how to approach this problem. He is also given guidance on how to measure airflow rate and temperature change in order to work out the power extracted.
Mitch1
Hi All,

I have a situation were I need to evaluate the heat transfer coefficient of a horizontal surface. The surface has tubes within although I first used "flow across a bank of tubes", this has been untrue due to the air flow coming from above the surface flowing vertically (and perpendicular) to the surface. I cannot find anywhere, books or websites, where there are examples of this. Has anyone evaluated this before or know of any links to work out the Nusselt no. Etc...

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't visualise the problem from your description . Please describe further and post a clear diagram .

Hi Nidum, thanks for your reply - yes I can attach a sketch although I am not too sure how to do it on this forum - any ideas? (Apologies)

Use the upload button bottom right in answer box .

Thanks, rough sketch shows the air being forced into surface, this will create turbulent flow? But can't find anything on how to approach this and it is both linear and turbulent to some extent

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 630
Look up impingement heat transfer .

Is that not for just jets onto a heated surface? Rather than air?
Thanks again

Should not be too difficult to start from basics :

(1) Estimate what the flow pattern of air over your plate looks like and then estimate flow velocities at different radial distances from axis .

(2) Having done that determine whether laminar or turbulent flow conditions apply and then determine heat transfer conditions in circular zones at increasing radial distances .

An analytic solution is probably possible but a numerical solution might be more useful if you just want answers to a practical problem .

Thanks for this guidance - much appreciated

I will look into this as it is a practical problem

Thanks again

If all of the air from the jet exits via the vents then can you work it out by measuring the flow rate and the temperature delta?

The air isn't coming from the vents it is being extracted there. The air is coming from above the surface being blown downwards

OK but you understand that by measuring the airflow rate and temperature change you can work out the power extracted.

As a practical problem, with basically unknown air velocities everywhere, I'm afraid any calculation will be good to only an order of magnitude. I'd start with a heat transfer coefficient of 20 Btu/(hr.ft2.oF) and do some testing on a mock-up.

1. What is the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the ability of a material or fluid to transfer heat. It represents the amount of heat that is transferred per unit area per unit temperature difference between two bodies in contact.

2. How is the heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The heat transfer coefficient can be calculated using the formula: h = q/(AΔT), where h is the heat transfer coefficient, q is the amount of heat transferred, A is the area of contact, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the two bodies.

3. What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is affected by several factors including the material properties of the two bodies in contact, the surface area, the temperature difference between the bodies, and the properties of the medium through which heat is transferred (such as air or water).

4. How does air flow affect the heat transfer coefficient?

Air flow can greatly affect the heat transfer coefficient. Higher air flow rates can increase the heat transfer coefficient, as it can help to remove heat from the surface more efficiently. However, if the air flow is too high, it can also create a barrier layer that can decrease the heat transfer coefficient.

5. Why is the heat transfer coefficient important?

The heat transfer coefficient is an important factor to consider in many scientific and engineering applications. It is used to calculate the rate of heat transfer between two bodies, which is essential in designing and optimizing systems that involve heat exchange, such as in HVAC systems, refrigeration systems, and thermal insulation materials.