1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer from a fluid linear?

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    If I had water at 180 degrees and dropped the temperature to 160 degrees over a heat exchanger, would I have the same BTU output as if I had water at 100 degrees and dropped the temp to 80 degrees? Delta T is 20 degrees for both situations.

I know if we were talking about Ke related to mass and velocity, and changed the velocity, energy would not trend in a linear fashion. Not sure about heat energy in water though.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2
    If the temperature change is carried out at constant volume, neglecting the effect of temperature on heat capacity, the amount of heat would be the same. The heat capacity does vary a little with temperature, but typically not much. You need to check how much the heat capacity varies over the temperature range of interest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook